Look at how much gun prices have gone up

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Fletch.N, Feb 11, 2020.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

1973, I was an A1C, that's Airman 1st Class for you vets too young to know what a two striper was called right after man learned to fly, married, one son, stationed at Williams AFB, Chandler, Arizona. My take home with BAQ thrown in was $500.38 a month. We lived fairly comfortably on that.

shootbrownelk, joe45c and ms6852 like this.
  2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

In 1973 I was making $3.27 an hour. That was big money then.
    Bought a brand new house and it took me five years to pay it off .

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In 1972 I was making about $225.00 a week as a commission auto body man. That was more than my friends and family. In 1975 I bought my 1st house. $24000.00. Using the calculator the home would cost $459,204.18. This area never fully recovered from the housing crash so It's much cheaper than that.

Taxes are the big problem in Illinois. My taxes on my house are now more than my house payments were when I had a mortgage. Taxes have gone up dramatically with no end in sight.

shootbrownelk, grcsat and joe45c like this.
  4. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I think that is how much I paid for my Winchester 94 back in 1982.

shootbrownelk and joe45c like this.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

About the only thing I can remember about the early 70's is that my son was born in 1972!

howlnmad and shootbrownelk like this.
  6. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You had me beat. Same base as you but i was a 1 striper in '73. didn't put the 2nd one on till 16 jan. '74.

sharps4590 and shootbrownelk like this.
  7. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

i was making 1.00 an hour when i got out of the Navy in 1963. the bosses son told use we were not worth even that. i drug up and went west and learned a trade and went to college. finished college a little later. become a registered nurse. made a good living. that bosses son is dead now and im still alive. we make about 140 thousand now or so but we dont live high on that. we take care of our two kids as well as our selves. we are not going under but we dont live fancy either. it just takes more money to live now days. a lot more.

nmckenzie and shootbrownelk like this.
  8. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I remember an old Uncle of mine talking about wages when he was a kid in the 20s/30s. He went to work in a machine shop for $.15 an hour as a golfer. He told me he hated the Machinist because they were making a penny a minute.
    Times were tough.

Larry

9. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

Browning 1968
    My take home from GM was $104/wk back then and I still thought these prices were too high. img004.jpg

10. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Nice pic!
    Three times the price for grade 3 vs grade 1 .22. Didn't realize it was that big a spread.

11. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

They're antiques now Sharps. I still have my muskrat/mink traps from when I started trapping, when I was 12 years old. I see traps hanging in antique stores that are in better shape than some of mine.

SilasW and sharps4590 like this.
  12. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

You could buy real merchandise IF you had the money in 1934. That was the great depression, most folks had a hard time just putting meager meals on the table for their families. I remember my Grandpa talking about it. They had a small farm and they had tough going. My Dad didn't talk about it at all.

13. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I did the 6 year enlistment joe. I sewed on my two stripes right out of basic. I expect we got our Sergeant stripe about the same time....and I don't remember when that was. I was still wearing 3 when I got out. I don't think they're A1C for two and Sergeant for three anymore.

14. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

vic i think i sewed on my sergeant stripe sometime in '75. i think they call it A1C and sergeant. I know as soon i sewed serg. on i moved off base to Gilbert.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

You got it. A lot of folks who went into the depression with a little money, came out with a lot. America was on sale. If you were in a position to buy real estate in 2008-15, you got some great buys.