The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hawg, Hey that is great——you should put a few boxes of ammo away as that fellows supply is bound to run out, my local guy was told by Federal after receiving a large order of 5.56 he would have to go through a distributor to get any more. Twenty rounds were priced at $18.99 at that time in his shop (a short time ago they were $5.50). I would continue to patronize that shop sounds like he is honest. Oh by the way you will love the 1911-22...I have the compact.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
LGS has full shelves of 5.56/.223 and 9 MM plus full racks of .22 LR and magnum. Anything else you have to ask for and they say they're in no danger of running out anytime soon. AE 5.56 is 11.99 per 20 rounds. 9 MM WWB is 16.99 per 50 rounds and .38 special Magtech is 18.99. I did not price any .22's but I put a Browning 1911 22 on layaway and they said they would throw in a bulk pack of 22 when I pay it off.
That Browning 1911 .22 pistol that you put on layaway sounds like the same pistol that gdmoody brought to the range. I flat out fell in love with it.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
He seems to be pretty fair. He has two large(for the area)pawn and gun shops. He always has a big selection of new and used guns and probably has 30 or more AR's in the racks at both stores and more in the back. I don't know where he gets his ammo but he doesn't seem to be worried about running out. I actually looked at the 1911 22 last week but the small size kinda put me off and I bought a Taurus PT 92 instead but the thing just kept nagging at me so I went back for another look to convince myself I didn't need it and wound up putting it on layaway.:D

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Started a thread-did'nt see this one.....At LGS today-paid 28$/500 Aguila Super/38$/500 Geco Target.

·
Premium Member
19,335 Posts
Price is not relevant here as no one has any to sell.

·
Registered
517 Posts
A few years ago, during the last ammo crisis, I bought a brick of that Armscor .22 LR. It wouldn't cycle in my relatively new Beretta pistol - that pistol likes all the other ammo I've used. Cheaper-Than-Dirt wouldn't accept my return, but Armscor did, cheerfully and promptly.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Picked up 2 more bxs of the Aguila today for [email protected] also pulled out 2 bxs of 60gr SuperSniper for 6.99 a bx/bought them......they are quiet and cycle GSG and 8" Charger.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,848 Posts
View attachment 233402 Picked this 20 round box on the ground in the desert about a week ago..With tax it’s just about $25.00 for one magazine of 9mm.Good grief Charlie Brown!
Those are Fort Scott solid copper tumblers, and that's very close to what they've always cost. We sell them, and they've never sold for less than about $23 a box of 20. Good stuff, but I wouldn't recommend them for home defense - they punch right through a Kevlar vest, or an apartment wall.

·
Registered
925 Posts
When you have lived through an unpleasant experience ( the last ammo shortage) and have several years time to bring your supplies up to a level should the same event occur again, don’t complain that you are getting scalped. That still does exonerate those businesses and individuals who quadruple the price of an item because they wish to capitalize at another’s expense. I cannot understand the individuals on the auctions who bid prices on guns and ammo far beyond any reasonable expectations or perhaps I am so old that I do not understand some people apparently have disposable income far beyond anything I have ever experienced. I watched an auction for 1000 White Box Winchester 9 mm (I bought the same in March for $190) bid to $1010.00, that seems to infect others to do the same....is it sour grapes on my part because I could never afford to do that ( not that I would) or is there no value to the dollar any longer? End of rant:carrot:

·
Registered
330 Posts
its the old ant verses grasshopper, its your choice. in times of plenty stock up, in bad times ration. i have been building up my reloading supplies when good buys come up in case all factory ammo dries up.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,217 Posts
I cannot understand the individuals on the auctions who bid prices on guns and ammo far beyond any reasonable expectations
It's an auction mania. People lose a sense of reality when they get fixated on winning an auction. It's their competitive spirit coming out. They must have it at all costs.

·
Garandaholic
9,413 Posts
When you have lived through an unpleasant experience ( the last ammo shortage) and have several years time to bring your supplies up to a level should the same event occur again, don’t complain that you are getting scalped. That still does exonerate those businesses and individuals who quadruple the price of an item because they wish to capitalize at another’s expense. I cannot understand the individuals on the auctions who bid prices on guns and ammo far beyond any reasonable expectations or perhaps I am so old that I do not understand some people apparently have disposable income far beyond anything I have ever experienced. I watched an auction for 1000 White Box Winchester 9 mm (I bought the same in March for $190) bid to $1010.00, that seems to infect others to do the same....is it sour grapes on my part because I could never afford to do that ( not that I would) or is there no value to the dollar any longer? End of rant:carrot:
The value of a dollar is pretty low these days, but I think @zant hit it on the head.
So much of this demand is coming from first time buyers.
They have no frame of reference as to what ammo "should" cost. All they know is what it "does" cost. They know they need it, so they spend the money and buy it.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I see a case of .22 LR ammo (5000 rounds) with an asking price of $999.90 which I bought two of back in the spring for $189.95 each I really get upset. Where are these prices originating from? The manufactures, distributors or the retailers? I understand that sometimes demand will drive prices up but this is beyond comprehension. Other ammo prices have gone off the charts as well.
I have had friends laugh at me for stockpiling ammo but now they are trying to get me to sell them some as they are running low and want to restock. Now it's my turn to laugh.
These prices will come down but I have thoughts we will probably never see a case of .22 LR ammo at the price I paid before this craziness started. I'd be surprised if a case will sell for less than $300 and after the prices we see now everyone will think that's a bargain. Then watch the run on ammo.
BTW, nowhere have I seen reports of shortages of materials for making gun powder, brass, lead or any other component needed to manufacture ammunition. There may be a shortage of workers due to the pandemic but that should have been resolved by now.
Lynn

·
Garandaholic
9,413 Posts
When I see a case of .22 LR ammo (5000 rounds) with an asking price of $999.90 which I bought two of back in the spring for $189.95 each I really get upset. Where are these prices originating from? The manufactures, distributors or the retailers? I understand that sometimes demand will drive prices up but this is beyond comprehension. Other ammo prices have gone off the charts as well.
I have had friends laugh at me for stockpiling ammo but now they are trying to get me to sell them some as they are running low and want to restock. Now it's my turn to laugh.
These prices will come down but I have thoughts we will probably never see a case of .22 LR ammo at the price I paid before this craziness started. I'd be surprised if a case will sell for less than $300 and after the prices we see now everyone will think that's a bargain. Then watch the run on ammo.
BTW, nowhere have I seen reports of shortages of materials for making gun powder, brass, lead or any other component needed to manufacture ammunition. There may be a shortage of workers due to the pandemic but that should have been resolved by now.
Lynn
Demand.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is no shortage if you want to pay the price. If there was a shortage you would not to be able to buy it at any price.
On the ######### site there are about 3,400 auctions for 9mm about half are buy now.
Both are trending at about $1.00 a round.
The same c### happened with gas, "Oh there is a shortage" we must raise the price!
You could get all the gas you wanted, as long as you were willing to pay the price.
Those who do not learn from history, are bound to repeat it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It does pay to plan ahead. Two weeks ago I had my 300 gallon diesel fuel tank filled with off road diesel for $1.71 per gallon. ! also had my fuel oil tank in my garage filled with heating fuel. I know as soon as the weather changes these prices will sky rocket. The off road fuel will last me a year or more and I know I will use the majority of the fuel oil in the tank in my garage throughout the winter. Probably a savings of over $300 for something I know I will have to buy eventually anyway.
I did the same with ammo and reloading supplies when prices were reasonable. I'm glad I did.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts