The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a whole bunch of choices for new rifle here a bouts. Been looking at Midway (there is a gun shop here on the Peninsula but he has no .22's at all. Ruger is looking real good price wise at Midway. Any other reccomendations either Simi-auto or bolt actions.

TYia

·
Premium Member
18,714 Posts
Not a whole bunch of choices for new rifle here a bouts. Been looking at Midway (there is a gun shop here on the Peninsula but he has no .22's at all. Ruger is looking real good price wise at Midway. Any other reccomendations either Simi-auto or bolt actions.

TYia
I thought your scumbag governor outlawed semi autos.

·
GUNZILLA
7,010 Posts
Lever guns are going to be expensive, Henry would be my go to, they make a whole bunch of different models in 22lr and grades that will make your mouth water. Browning makes the BL-22 another sweet rifle. Be prepared to pay 600 to over 1k for the lever guns depending on models, and if you can find them. Rossi makes some real inexpensive lever guns but you will notice it in the action, good rifles but rough. Of course Winchester 9422 will bring tears to your eyes from owning one and for making your wallet lighter. Choose to go with semi-auto or bolt and the price point lowers.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,734 Posts
Get a CZ bolt action. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Im partial to bolt action in .22 whether that be with a magazine or just single shot. but thats just me. Not that I dont own a semi auto. Click clack is old (Stevens model 87A) but she still functions and is dang accurate.
I've got an 87B but it only works with CCI.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Yeah if you want to spend another 100 bucks or so to get it as accurate as a Marlin model 60 is out of the box.
A Model 60 was my first .22 rifle. I love it, except for the cleaning. They get gunked up with residue really bad in the action. I think it's because they don't have an open spot to dump all the gunk like a 10/22 does with removable magazines. Just a comment... I like both of them though. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
OLDER Marlin 39A or Henry for lever action. If you get bitten by the Mossberg bug, you can find anything from a Model 152

to a 144 LSB

Or if that is too heavy for you, find a Nylon 66

Still too heavy? Get a Garcia Bronco.

The nice thing about 22s- you don't have to stop at one- or two, or three.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Some shooters came to our club with their 22 silhouette rifles because i'd mentioned our club might be interested in doing that also. So a few of us brought our own plinking/hunting 22s to the range that day and shot a silhouette course they set up for us on our range with their targets. I shot a fairly respectable round with my Remington Speedmaster and a 4x scope and then one of them asked if I'd like to try his. Now they had all outshot us by a considerable margin and i was glad to be offered a go with a much more accurate rifle. This has been many years ago and if memory serves me right it was a Remington target bolt with a heavy stock, adjustable trigger set in maybe ounces and a scope up in the 20x's somewhere.

What helped me is that I'd been practicing some bullseye shooting with a .22 handgun, so when these little tiny targets only showed up momentarily as that high magnification scope moved on past them, I already knew how to shoot shoot the wiggle or whatever they call that. That trigger was lighter than anything I'd ever handled and I loved it immediately. It was very awkward when I shot a higher score the first time around with a new to me rifle than the owner did. Sadly, he wouldn't let me shoot another round. :cry:

I would definitely recommend something with known excellent accuracy. It was Colonel Townsend Whelen who famously saidOnly accurate rifles are interesting.”

1 - 20 of 57 Posts