The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I really like lever guns in 22 cal my favs are Marlin 39's and Winchester 9422's. Lately I have been buying Old Mossbergs 22 in both bolt and semi's, models 42, 44 and multiple 46's as well as a 151. These old mossbergs range from $100 to $400, they are underappreciated, but they are known to be very accurate depending on the model. Just have to be careful when buying them and make sure they have all the sight intact. Some of the peep sights sell for more than the gun. I have a couple with Mannlicher stocks, I really like that stock configuration.

With that being said, I really prefer 22 mag rifles :p

·
Registered
691 Posts
Semi auto, hands down Ruger 10/22. Bolt action you may want to look at a Marlin XT. JM2C

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Get a CZ bolt action. Buy once, cry once.
Everything I read and seen on YouTube about the CZ 457 no matter the model variant, it is a very accurate 22LR rifle. I’ve been considering the 457 American Synthetic with a 1/2-28 threaded 24” barrel. That model sells for about $425.00.

There is also the Ruger American Rimfire. They sell from $350 to $460. Again very accurate.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Another I would suggest is a RIA/Armscor M20P. (I had two.) Used to be about $145-165 before all this craziness. Well made, accurate semi-auto that takes traditional mags. 10,15, 30 rnds available.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I want to convey this in the most Respectful manner possible. 👌

You Suck. 👍

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
HMMMMMMM I suck because I got a good deal? I actually bought the box of stuff because it had a bunch of old Hand tools. in it, The ammo was just Icing on the Cake. This is why I don't often pass up a Yard Sale.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I wouldn't try to shoot those Thunderbolts in a semi auto.
I was actually thinking of adding then to my Ammo Display. But out of curiosity Why?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Busting on you Brother. Good score. 👍

I just paid major coin for 1K rounds delivered.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Good for you. i usually come home with stuff i never use.

These CZ rifles are looking very good especially if you appreciate the accuracy some - maybe with the match chambers - offer. The testimonials as they compare these to the finest most accurate .22 rifles out there is impressive.CZ 457 series (czub.cz)

Personally I never cared for the Ruger 10-22 with its standard light barrel. It was just too light and whippy for me. It seemed like years before I began seeing them with heavier bull barrels and other ad ons. But then I've always liked some weight to steady any rifle. But I know some folks who do like the light weight stuff and can shoot it very accurately.

I've had a nice Remington Speedmaster 552 since a trade in the mid '80s. Very nice fun rifle which has never given me any trouble. The stock is a bit large for a small youngster but perfect for the average adult. It has decent enough accuracy - probably minute of squirrel - but not on a par with the CZs. Remington Model 552 "Speedmaster" 22 Caliber Rimfire Semi-Automatic Rifle (gunblast.com)

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Duds, hangfires, differing velocities. I read somewhere they were made from sweeping the powder room floor and while I don't know if that's true I don't doubt it. They're not called Thunderduds for nothing.
My sons and I have been calling them thunderduds for years with good reason. We usually shot them in bolt action single shots as they generally had a few that wouldn't cycle a semi-auto in every carton, and always one or two that were duds or squibs.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Ruger 10/22 for semi auto
Ruger American for bolt action.
Henry for that sweet lever action.

Now I’m really jonesing for a lever action.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,453 Posts
My brother in the US is keeping my Marlin model 60 that I got for Christmas when I was 13 or so. I like it. I have a Ruger 10-22, as do most of the other members of the club I'm a member of. They do great in competitions, anywhere from 50 yards to 15 yards. The best shooters knock the X ring out of the target. Those guns can be modified to the point that hardly anything is original on it. I only switched out my trigger group for a Timney trigger.

One of the club members brought her Browning lever 22 for me to shoot. That is one sweet rifle also.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I was actually thinking of adding then to my Ammo Display. But out of curiosity Why?
Add to your ammo display for the crap ammo section. I call them Thunderduds because of all the misfires. The Remington Subsonic is almost just as bad as Thunderduds. There’s at least five cartridges per box with Subsonic’s were I have to drop the hammer a second time to get them to fire. Also. The Thunderduds and Subsonic are extremely dirty and somewhat difficult to remove fouling. CCI Minimag, and Federal Match are the cleanest with minimal fouling I’ve tried.

·
Administrator
32,504 Posts
There are some great .22 rifles out there.
The 1st rifle we ever gave away at TFF was a Marlin mod 60.
Inexpensive but accurate.
Or, you can go with an Anschutz or anything in between.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts