The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hang on, I see bricks advertised for $30 to$50 and coming down. Still over my max, and until people stop paying the goofy prices it will drag on. When we get back to nickel or less per shot, a lot of people will be sitting on some silly priced ammo.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Larry what the heck have you got that great looking 121 sitting on,,, some kind of a project that went wrong?
Joe that's my best attempt at basket weaving, (y) it was supposed to carry my winter supply of Camas Root down from the Mountains, but when I arrived at my t-pee my basket was empty :mad: I gave up on that project, Now I'm trying to make a Bow & sum Arrows outa that wood, Just incase the 22lr ammo supply dries up.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Now I'm trying to make a Bow & sum Arrows outa that wood, Just incase the 22lr ammo supply dries up.
:DBow and arrows! somehow i doubt that dried out weather beaten wood would flex enough for a bow. And those arrows will be so crocked they will shoot like boomerangso_O not something you want out of your arrows!

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
.22LR is the only ammo around here that is available right now, but at the price ($10 per box of 50!)

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I have thinned my .22lr rifles down to just two, a Ruger 10/22 bull barreled target model that I have been shooting for more than 35 years and a rather new member of the family a Keystone Sporting Arms Model 722 varmint bolt gun. I have gotten rid of every Winchester .22 that I have owned. When the price rose so much I parted with them. I have never seen myself as a collector. I have been an accumulator at times, ha. At 82 years old that is enough, ha.

For plain plinking fun I don't think you can beat the Ruger 19/22. I have tinkered with mine over the years and when feed some nice Wolf Target Match it will give you a ragged hole at 50 yards and when you do you part a one inch group at 100 yards. The Keystone Model 722 is more accurate. It's last ten shot 50 yard group measured 0.32 inches center to center. That is fun to brag about but I have never been in any competition and the Old Guys are pretty much into fun plinking at some sort of reactive targets. The Keystone model 722 comes in three or four different stock option models and sells for around $400.00. They guarantee MOA accuracy with the model 722. I think off the shelf the model 722 will hold it's own against any CZ off the shelf. You just don't see many of them around. Here is their web sight take a look. (Looking around for a .22). I had to have my local gun shop order mine and they had never heard of the model 722.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,453 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wouldn't try to shoot those Thunderbolts in a semi auto.
Why not? My son, grandson and I each have Ruger 10/22's. My son bought a case of Thunderbolts last year and throughout the summer we all shot them in our Rugers. We never had a jam, misfire or even a flyer. My son dropped a woodchuck off his back deck at just over 100 yards with his Ruger and a Thunderbolt.
One thing we do though is clean our rifles often which may help. I haven't found a .22 round yet my Ruger won't digest.

Reactions: Grizzly2

·
Registered
894 Posts
I haven't bought any Thunderbolts since the '80s or '90 and don't really remember them as being as bad as some say. Maybe an occasional dud, but not as the rule as I remember.

·
Super Moderator
41,404 Posts
I have two bricks of Thunderbolts, still wrapped in plastic, that I bought an umpteen number of years ago. I found them a few months ago in my gun cabinet and I have no idea how long I have had them. I don't recall ever shooting any of them before so I can't say how they perform. I have so many other .22 LR's to choose from that I will probably never open them up.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Because I am on a VERY STRICT gun budget for a .22, added to the fact that finding them NEW or USED around here is difficult I found a Savage MKII FVSR at Wally World for $155 plus $10 BGC Fee. Last Check I am in the high 1000's in line.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
GUNZILLA
7,058 Posts
For the money the Savage MKII FVSR, the SR means suppressor ready, is very accurate. It will take a couple of hundred rounds to season the barrel and it loves cheap ammo, mine prefers the cci standard velocity over the Eley, RWS, SKS, Wolf, and Lapua. The one draw back is the stock is flimsy but gets the job done. I also had an issue with the magazine when you loaded the 5 rounds it would not lock in place. If this happens to you remove the red plastic follower and file down the longest of the two tips it has until it seats in place and it works great. It shot well enough that I was going to buy a Boyd's at-one stock for it but eneded up giving it to my nephew.

·
Super Moderator
41,404 Posts
I bought one of the Savage MKII FVSR's right after I got my Suppressor in 2014. I have to agree with what Manny says about the stock being a little flimsy and about how accurate they are. I mostly shoot aguila subsonic ammo through it, but I have fired several different brands of ammo, but not that expensive stuff, and haven't noticed much difference in the accuracy. I haven't experienced the same problem with the magazine that came with it or the extra one I bought.

·
Premium Member
19,873 Posts
Those are good rifles. My wife and my son both have Savage Mark 11 and they are very accurate.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thanks for the Tips. I don't have a Suppresser. It would be nice to get a couple extra Mags eventually. But that will have to wait until the gun is actually at home in my Gun Safe

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not a whole bunch of choices for new rifle here a bouts. Been looking at Midway (there is a gun shop here on the Peninsula but he has no .22's at all. Ruger is looking real good price wise at Midway. Any other reccomendations either Simi-auto or bolt actions.

TYia
If you don't mind spending a little more, you can get the S&W M&P 15-22 (a mini-AR).

41 - 60 of 65 Posts