The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Years ago when, I think it was those AMTs, in an indoor range, I had to stop and go find out what was making that awful sound. It was those .22 magnums. Now, my full house .44 mag loads were probably much worse. But, they were more of a boom with concussion. Those .22 mags seemed much more high pitched and irritating.
I see what you are saying, they are more harsh....I guess I will say....but you do include they are irritating, I am guessing with the ears on. That irritating with ears is pain without, and that is just another arrow in your quiver. If....god forbid....I ever need something like that I want the deck stacked in my favor as much as possible. That irritating sound and flash may be one card out of 52, but I want that card on my side.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I will just say that my BIL's Ruger LCR in .22 RF is pretty darn loud coming out of that short barrel....personally would not want to be hit by a .22 RF 40 gr HP at anywhere from 10-40' in a close encounter.
I remember seeing video years and years ago of a lovers quarrel at a bar. In this video this big ole boy was clearly pretty upset, there was no audio. These two guys are going at it, one on one side of the bar, the other in the customer area, with two females. Guy in the customer area picks up a chair and is acting like he is going to chuck it at guy 2. Holding it above his head and making motions like he is going to toss it at him, guy 1 has both hands up like he is going to try to deflect chair. This back and forth goes on for about 20 sec.....a very long time.....and finally there goes the chair and guy 2 ducks. Guy 1 picks up another chair, and guy 2 comes up from behind the bar with a hand gun, you really can't tell what it is, but it does have a longer barrel. Guy 1 is going really off the rails, guy 2 is pointing gun, and the girls vanish. Back and forth for another 20 sec or so and here comes another chair, and guy 2 ducks. Again he comes up and again the guy in front of the bar has another chair....this time he is advancing on the bar. Another exchange for about 20 sec, this time guy 2 shoots guy 1. He backs up a bit....and advances again, and he is shot again. This back and forth went on for a total of 6 times before guy drops the chair and decides he should sit down.

They dug 5 .22 bullets out of our guy, and he lived, the gun in question was a Beretta Neos.

The guy that did the shooting was cleared, I guess getting a couple chairs tossed at you is enough to prove that your life is in danger.

From that little incident I have planted my feet firm in the a 22 has a chance of killing you, but little chance of stopping you. That said it is better then nothing, or a stick, or a rock or........

We all know that a 22mag out of the same length hand gun barrel is not giving you much more over a 22 LR....but like I said before, I want that little more on my side.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
As much as I love my old Iver Johnson revolvers, I wouldn't suggest one in this situation.
The triggers are fairly stiff on all the different IJ .22 models.
All the solid frame versions require putting the hammer in half cock to load/unload and either a stick or removing the cylinder to eject spent or unfired rounds (Model 50 Sidewinder has an ejector rod like an SA revolver but...). So the manual of arms could be confusing to some people.
The top break .22s would be easier for loading/unloading but the auto ejecting versions are nearing 90 years old and are fairly scarce. Model 66S Trailsman or Model 67S Viking top breaks use a manual ejector but again the trigger pull is stiff and even the newest ones are 45+ years old. So finding parts for any of the IJ's if needed is getting "interesting" these days.
Like others have suggested, I'd take a look at a Ruger LCR or maybe the Ruger SP101.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Placing any firearm in the hands of someone who is as easily confused as you describe is not a good idea. First I would work with her some more handling a S&W .22 if that is the caliber you need although the 380 is just as easy to operate, do this without ammunition and a lot of dry firing until she understands the weapon and how dangerous it could be to her and persons other than the bad guy if in untrained hands. Then. When she is more comfortable with the weapon return to the range and have her try different firearms and calibers. She needs what she is comfortable with not what you think is good for her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Browning BDA 380 for my wife but she could not pull the slide back and at the concealed cary class the range officer allowed me to rack the first round . Sometime later she bought a Walther .380 and she was able to pull the slide back on her own power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for a good revolver for a lady? I suggest the new Thunderstruck by ssp great little gun and its my go to for low hand strength and reliability and ease of carry. it is a mag but no recoil and very unique with the ladies like also.
Font Composite material Metal Titanium Machine

·
Registered
5 Posts
For lady friend that does'nt have a lot of hand strength...Tried her with a .380 and a 9(with me in back holding arms),no they won't work.She did well with .22 auto,but I can tell in an emergency the controls would confuse her.I'm thinking a 2-4" revolver----any suggestions,Thx
For lady friend that does'nt have a lot of hand strength...Tried her with a .380 and a 9(with me in back holding arms),no they won't work.She did well with .22 auto,but I can tell in an emergency the controls would confuse her.I'm thinking a 2-4" revolver----any suggestions,Thx
TRY LOOKING AT THE WALTHER PPK/S 22LR. LOOKS NICE, SHOOTS GREAT, A LITTLE HEAVY INSIDE A PURSE, BUT GREAT FOR CCW HOLSTER.

·
Registered
Keltec ,S&W, Taurus, AMT, Ruger, Browning, Diamondback.....
102 Posts
Range guy was telling me he witnessed a Thunderstruck fire two rounds at a time, only they landed 8 inches apart at 8yards away. Good for people with double vision.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Looking for a good revolver for a lady? I suggest the new Thunderstruck by ssp great little gun and its my go to for low hand strength and reliability and ease of carry. it is a mag but no recoil and very unique with the ladies like also. View attachment 277451
Looks more dangerous than need be. Two finger trigger and a two finger grip on a double barrel 22 Mag. Got a lot of twos in there.

Reactions: Grizzly2

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Any .380 with a barrel longer than these pocket pistols with less than 3", will increase the performance of that little round. The S&W EZ comes to mind, but I wish they had designed it without that grip safety. Many say it is no problem, but I can see how someone in a hurry and excited could fail to engage it and stand there wondering why it won't shoot. Another point scored for a good revolver. Even my 16 oz CA Undercover with std full wadcutters is a mild shooter that shouldn't bother anyone. 3 or 4 inch would be even better but you have to be sure she can handle the da trigger weight.

Reactions: ral357
21 - 33 of 33 Posts