Looking for a barrel and have exhausted all my resources

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by howlnmad, Jan 11, 2018.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I hadn't, but I have now. I see they have a Shaw with a carbine length gas system but with a rifle length sight radius. I'm not really concerned about the gas system, I just want the triangular rifle length handguards.

dbcooper likes this.
  2. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Model 1 Sales is still in business. The owner, Cindy Stout passed away three months ago from heart complications. One of her daughters mite still have business going, but you will have to call and see.

As far as the gas port. I'm sure it's larger than an normal 20' barrel. It would have to be seeing that there isn't much barrel left after port to muzzle. I'm certain that the bullet get shaves when passing the port. Have you shoot it yet ?

howlnmad likes this.

3. howlnmad

It shoots and functions fine. I've got to get a set of gauges and check the chamber. Had some issues with some Federal LC factory stuff.

PRR1957 likes this.
  4. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

The bullet doesn't get shaved if the gas port is done properly, any slight burr would get "shot off" within just a few rounds. Might be why manufacturers want you to run at least 100 rounds through one as a break-in process.

PRR1957 and howlnmad like this.
  5. howlnmad

Don't see any burrs or any tearing of cleaning patches. Target holes look pretty good.
    I'm probably jumping the gun on the barrel replacement. I only had problems with the Federal factory stuff. My other handloads ran great. I'm going to order a set of gauges before I jump on a new barrel.

PRR1957 and mogunner like this.
  6. PRR1957

There is a good probability of the port shaving the bullet to some degree. As an example, Magnaporting is known to shave bullets and as a result it was banned in IHMSA Silhouette competition. With an AR it would depend on the location of the port in it's relation to the rifling. Eventually the sharp edge of the rifling will smooth en out with successive firings. Gas port size for a 20" AR barrel is .0935-.096. That is big hole on the barrel. One of the benefits of the David Tubbs lapping bullet kit, is that it will help take the sharp edge off of the gas port on an AR gas port.

7. mogunner

I have one AR build that I used a barrel from a different manufacturer than I usually stick with and it's not performing as well as it should. I've thought about the gas port being the problem and have considered running 50 or so Tulammo through it with their bimetallic bullets and see if that makes a difference.

8. PRR1957

I worked for six and one half years for a company that built and sold AR 15/M 16 uppers, and the occasional customer would want one of those type of barrels made up for them, and when it was ordered, the customer was told that we would not warranty the barrel for function because we could never get one to run reliably. We would always try to steer them towards a true Dissapatore. Do not quote me, but I believe that the gas port size is .115.

What mite work for you, is if you reload your own ammo, is to try Hodgdon, Varget. That powder's slower burn rate and it's pressure curve mite help. Also. Hodgdon BL-C(2) is another powder to try, although it dose kind of burn dirty. Another factor is the bullet type and weight. Flat based bullets will seal the bore better than a boat tail bullet. A heavier bullet mite also help because the bullet is longer and will have a little more dwell time in the barrel before it exits the bores muzzle do to it's longer baring surface, but the down side to a longer/heavier bullet is it mite not stabilize if the barrels rate of twist to slow.

ms6852 likes this.
  9. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So you're looking to put rifle length hand guards on a 16" barrel?

howlnmad likes this.
  10. zant

zant Well-Known Member

A friend gave me a Tubbs .30 kit,I used it on a brand new .300w 16" barrel.I should have seen if the barrel shot good before using the kit,because it REALLY shoots good now.I ordered a few for 5.56.

howlnmad likes this.
  11. howlnmad

Actually, it already has them on it. It is the frankengun that I had at the last BBQ. 20160901_192427.jpg

12. mogunner

I load Varget, BLC2 and 8208XBR for the most part. I have a ton of 55gr reloads to burn up but just got in a bunch of Rocky Mountain Reloading's new 3GH 69gr BTHP bullets to load up.

howlnmad likes this.
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's so cute with that tiny little bore

howlnmad likes this.
  14. howlnmad

50 Beowulf or 5.56, hit in the right spot, something is still dead.
    You just wait til I build my 458 Socom. :p

15. fisherman346

fisherman346 New Member

I didnt think there is such a creature but you can try Brownells .com they are offering vietnam era retro parts for the vintage builder. Also look on you tube there are others doing those type of builds using other companies

howlnmad likes this.