The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this Iver Johnson top break .32 and was curious of the production date. I’m pretty sure it’s a 2nd model due to the trigger safety and double latch but don’t know much otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You have an 2nd Model 1st Variation Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless Automatic chambered in .32 S&W. It was manufactured in 1899 and is considered a blackpowder frame. Not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have an 2nd Model 1st Variation Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless Automatic chambered in .32 S&W. It was manufactured in 1899 and is considered a blackpowder frame. Not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.
Thank you for the quick response. I think I’m going to try to find at least one other .32 bp revolver to justify reloading for it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. I think I’m going to try to find at least one other .32 bp revolver to justify reloading for it.
Reloading black powder cartridges is not much different from regular cartridges. Just use black powder, cardboard wads and pure lead bullets. I use SPG lube on my bullets. After you fire, just soak spend casing in soapy water to neutralize the black powder. Don't forget to clean your revolver like any other black powder gun.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
When loading black powder rounds, make sure there is no air space between the charge and the bullet base. You want the powder to be slightly compressed, Don't worry about an overcharge, you can't stuff enough of it in there to overcharge it, but you also don't want to undercharge a black powder cartridge. If for some reason you want to reduce the charge, use an inert filler or a fiber wad to take up any air space in the casing.

·
Registered
435 Posts
.32 S&W black powder rounds are pretty gutless as it is so I can't see doing reduced loads as being practical for this cartridge.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
.32 S&W black powder rounds are pretty gutless as it is so I can't see doing reduced loads as being practical for this cartridge.
Probably not, I guess I'm more used to loading .45-70 bp cartridges, lots more room in one of those. I also put a splash of vinegar in the soapy water to drop the empty brass into after firing them. Don't be surprised at the color the brass turns after soaking them, it's normal for them to look like they were color case hardened and it cleans off in your tumbler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts