The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the days not so distant, you could look up reviews of equipment and other items. Now, just about every review of any equipment is just a surrogate site to feed into amazon. So it is just about impossible to get reliable information on which item is the one worthy of a small investment. It seems camp saws are such an item. Not that I don't trust Amazon, of course, but what is the current best buy for a a folding camp saw that is fairly lightweight but sturdy enough not to break in the first couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
41,694 Posts
I am not a camper/hiker in any sense of the words. I have a small Gerber Camp saw that I bought years ago to keep in my small hunting bag. I would not want to saw a tree down with it but it is capable of cutting down a small tree or to cut limbs around a deer stand. It is about a foot long when opened and came with two or three saw blades in a canvas case. If you are looking for a small saw for emergency use, I would recommend this one. I took this picture from Amazon:

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not a camper/hiker in any sense of the words. I have a small Gerber Camp saw that I bought years ago to keep in my small hunting bag. I would not want to saw a tree down with it but it is capable of cutting down a small tree or to cut limbs around a deer stand. It is about a foot long when opened and came with two or three saw blades in a canvas case. If you are looking for a small saw for emergency use, I would recommend this one. I took this picture from Amazon:
View attachment 251061
Thank you, I will check it out.

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
I'll second that Gerber. Mine came with two blades. One is a bone blade. Ain't never used that one. The wood blade is sharpened on both sides of the teeth, so it cuts on the push and the pull. I have cut green wood as thick as 6 inches in diameter with that saw blade.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hit up a guy called "Corporal Corner" he has a full list of survival stuff, Im building my bug out bag from his stuff
Corporals Corner Web Page – Bushcraft and Survival Skills (corporalaf.com)
Excellent site. I am not really looking at "bug out" bags since it is a bit difficult to bug out with my full size dialysis machine. But I am doing some day hikes with my granddaughter and starting to teach her some basic camping skills.

The equipment list is a great list and I will check out several of the items. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a pruning saw similar to the one George posted. Anytime i'm out putting up a tree stand or moving one around it comes in handy. Use it for most of my yard pruning too!
Well, it looks like George started a trend. I have seen several reviews on even expensive saws that show poor quality and many that didn't even last the first session of use. I had decided my best bet was to stay away from the expensive stuff that still had reviews with quality issues and find a good but rather inexpensive item. It seems the Gerber has good reviews and for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the tip and I think I know where I will start.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you could ever find a KNAPP Game saw grab it. They were a good quality saw, just like grammps carpentry saw, two teeth 'sizes'(one on each side of saw. Tney had a finger hole for your #1 finger and came in a nce leather sheath. Any saw sharpener could make em enmew.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Excellent site. I am not really looking at "bug out" bags since it is a bit difficult to bug out with my full size dialysis machine. But I am doing some day hikes with my granddaughter and starting to teach her some basic camping skills.

The equipment list is a great list and I will check out several of the items. Thanks for the link.
his videos on you tube for survival are awesome as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Another thing you could do is, go to a place that sells Replacement saw blades for a pole saw. Such as Fiskers Tools. Buy a blade and make a handle and some kind of sheath for the teeth. It will not fold, but will not be real heavy. It, will also cut real well. Those small folding saws are more for pruning and not for cutting fire wood. The Sven Saw, is like a folding bow saw. Either one of these will do a good job cutting wood on the trail.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I bought a What-a-saw at a fall festival market for $5.00 years ago and was amazed at how sharp and handy it was. It was an incredible cutter. Much better than the many bow saws I'd used. Just handling the 3 blades that came with it could get you cut. That is when I noticed the blades were marked Sandvik, a well known Swedish steel. I do not believe these are available any more but there is a Sven Saw which seems to be just as good and which comes in a shorter size than the 21" model I have. I believe it comes in 15" and 21". I can't speak highly enough of it. I believe it's performance far surpasses any folding model and it is made as a handy, easily packed or carried design. I carried it many times to my tree stands and even find myself using it in place of my other larger saws. They both fold up flat and compact and are easy to carry or pack.

Where to get a What-A-Saw? | Bushcraft USA Forums
2 - Pk. What - a - SAW Multi - purpose Saws - 196200, Saws, Chainsaws & Log Splitters at Sportsman's Guide (sportsmansguide.com)
Amazon.com : Sven Saw : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I second Grizzly2's recommendation. I also have a What-A-Saw. (It's similar to a Sven saw, but with multiple blades in the handle.) It sets up easier than a Sven saw also. Everything is attached so you cannot loose anything. The final step is snapping the handle into position, which functions as a cam lever to tension everything. Excellent saw. I managed high end Outdoor Adventure Equipment Stores (Backpacking stores) for 23 years. This is the best I've seen. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It is my "Go To" saw. As far as durability goes, mine is probably 15 years old and has seen a lot of use. Still going strong.

Mine has 5 blades. 2-3 types of wood blades, (from super aggressive to mild) a general purpose blade and a metal/hacksaw blade. Very versatile. See's a lot of use around the house. Packs down small, but packs a big punch.

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
In my opinion the silky saws are the best they cut backwards and forwards, I own a couple of them and come in all sizes.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, I am going to go with George and get the Gerber. Hopefully they are still as high quality as when he bought his. I had thought about getting the Silky but then ran across a number of reviews questioning the current quality. I might get there some day, but will go cheap to start and see how it plays out.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a Fiskars folding saw that does a great job on limbs in and around the 6" mark. BUT! I have a "Saw-In-A-Can" that's absolutely wonderful! It's like a length of linked bike chain with provision for a handle at each end and teeth that cut on both the pull strokes. It'll buzz through even big hardwood limbs like nobody's business. It coils up into a can not much bigger than a tin of shoe polish.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts