The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for something nice and well made..I see a Ruger SP101 at a LGS but its 599.00 OUCH !!!
I dont see any used at all

·
Premium Member
19,882 Posts
I don't think the Ruger has been out long enough to fine any used. The S&W revolver is even higher priced. If you like single action revolvers look at the Ruger Blackhawk. They are a very good gun and will last a few lifetimes.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
looking for something nice and well made..I see a Ruger SP101 at a LGS but its 599.00 OUCH !!!
I dont see any used at all
Yeah many years (30-40) ago I got used, my bang-around 20 ga shotgun, Western style .22/.22MAG, .38 Special old cop gun and others.

Good value? I haven't been to any gun shows lately, how are they for quality gun deals?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm planning on getting a Heritage Arms Rough Rider in the next month or two. Kinda sucks loading and unloading, but for less than $200 you can't beat it. I think it comes in 4" and 6.5" barrel lengths plus it has the .22wmr cylinder. For what it is you can't beat it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, this current incarnation of the .22lr SP101 hasn't been out very long...and I doubt many folks that are buying them are trading them off either.
The first run of .22lr SPs, back when the SP101 was first introduced, bring hefty prices these days too...if you can find one.
They aren't cheap but they are nice though.
It's easily my favorite .22 pistol and you'd have to pry very hard to get my mitts off of mine.

The Single-Six or Single-Ten are good revolvers and are quite a bit cheaper than the SP101, but they're single-action. They still make an excellent trail gun though.

I don't really care for the alloy-frame Heritage Rough Rider...it just balances funny in my hand. I don't mind the steel-frame version though which is a little higher priced. Cheap, functional, not much to complain about.

The Taurus 94 is a fairly decent DA revolver for the price. Some folks have had problems with Taurus's quality control in recent years. Some have had good luck.
I had a 94 back in the early 90s. Other than a very heavy DA trigger pull I liked it.

IN the past, you used to be able to find all sorts of H&R .22 revolvers in the used racks, many times for under $100. Those are few and far between nowadays though...and it seems to be they're rather collectible judging by the prices on em. I had a 676 when I was a kid...It got the job done, but I was glad to see it go down the road. Traded that 676 for my first Ruger Standard autoloader.

For a bargain .22 pistol, you will find more choices in autoloaders than revolvers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are a few older Harrington and Richardson 22's on line for under 300, course just like the heritage, the loading and unloading can get tiresome. Over the last three or four years I've picked up off ********* Rossi, Charter Arms & H&R .22 revolvers all for less than $300

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm planning on getting a Heritage Arms Rough Rider in the next month or two. Kinda sucks loading and unloading, but for less than $200 you can't beat it. I think it comes in 4" and 6.5" barrel lengths plus it has the .22wmr cylinder. For what it is you can't beat it.
Ditto on the Heritage Arms Rough Rider. It is a fun shooter and very accurate out of the box. I have three semi-auto 22 pistols and wanted to try a revolver. I'm glad to have picked this one, no complaints at all!

You can also find the Rough Rider in a 4.75" barrel, which is the size I have.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I would go with the H&R first, the Heritage Arms RR would be my second choice. Charter has a good gun, but the price is $550 suggested retail, and the Rossi, which is a new gun for them, and hard to find are $350 suggested retail.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The only problem with the sub $200. Heritage is lack of adjustable, or really any rear sights. And they suffer from occasional (from gun to gun) accuracy issues that must be compensated for manually. If it shoot low & to the right of your POA at 25 yrds, you have to learn where to aim it (High/left) to hit your target. And that generally only works in that specific range distance unless you practice it and figure it out at other distances.
This is not a defect. It's just the nature of the beast going back as far as top strap groove rear sight pistols have been made. Including the original Colts these pistols are copies of.
Do yourself a favor, spend the extra$, get one with adjustable rear sights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Avoid the Heritage Rough Rider at any cost. My Rough Rider is a piece of junk. I should have spent another $100 for a quality gun. Mine spits lead out the side routinely. Accuracy is poor. Of course the sights did not line up, Heritage says to bend the front sight. Boy that sure looks lousy with the sight bent to one side. The so-called case hardened receiver turns out to be a pale green pot metal frame. I send a letter to Heritage about my poor accuracy and they do not even answer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rossi use to make some great little 22 rev. They had 4 inch barrels adj rear an were nearly identical to the S&W kit gun. Nice feel 22 on 32 frame an in SS. I saw one about a month ago, nice condition $275........Redworm........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts