The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying I am completely new to reloading getting my data from the powder manufacturers websight and a lymans manual. I am using the Lee Double Disk set on a Lee Classic Turret Press. I am using BL-C(2) powder and am getting random loads weighing out a full grain heavy. Some even more. Any tips or tricks to even this out. The disks wont give me the exact minimum load so I have had a couple drop over the maximum load. That made me paranoid so I am weighing every load and the lack of consistancy is pretty bad. With all the rave reviews, either I'm doing something wrong, or it just doesnt like this power. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Is this a completely new set-up? If so, make sure you throw a full pound through your measure to give it a good coating. You may be dealing with some residual static. Wipe it down with a used dryer sheet and then throw some charges.
Also what are cartridge are you loading?

Welcome to TFF from Tx!

Reactions: jim brady

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a completely new set-up? If so, make sure you throw a full pound through your measure to give it a good coating. You may be dealing with some residual static. Wipe it down with a used dryer sheet and then throw some charges.
Also what are cartridge are you loading?

Welcome to TFF from Tx!
I am loading once fired WCC 5.56. It is completely new but I have run about a pound through it.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The first thing you want to do is make sure your press handle operation is smooth and consistent. Make sure the oil is cleaned out of the powder die and lubricate it with dry graphite. Mine leaked pretty bad with ball powder and made it fairly inconsistent. You may also want to look at the lee auto drum measure. It's a much better measure.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
YOu got the larger disk on the bottom and smaller one on top?

And your using a rifle charge die that is clean. I use ball powders and I don't have a problem with this unit.

Not saying that its gona drop perfect charges, its not meant to, but not as bad as what is described.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
If you want the best loads with the set-up you have on hand, try to throw charges that are about 1 grain light, then trickle the powder to bring your scale to zero. I use BLC (2) as an alternate standard for my 5.56mm loads, while I use H-335 as my go-to powder in that caliber.

For your powder choices, BLC (2) isn't a bad choice. I like the H-335 because the powder granulation measures easier. Your goal is to make the most accurate ammo that you can make, and that shouldn't be a problem if you are taking your time. There are tools and set-ups that would allow you to produce quality ammo faster, but as I said before, you have the means on hand to produce great ammo as-is.

BTW - welcome to TFF!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have the large disk on the bottom. I ran a pound of IMR 4064 and it was throwing pretty consistent loads. I tried Winchester 748 because I read that ball powders would be more accurate through a hopper. It was all over the place so I got some BLC 2 and I am having the same problem. I'll checkout rifle charging die maybe the problem lies there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts