The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my history and I know most historically good american guns are super expensive; but was wondering if there might be some ww2 era rifles from other countries that are cheaper and use an ammo effective for deer hunting, and I can still easily find once the ammo shortage ends.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Are you looking for a military surplus World War II firearm, or just a firearm from around the 1940s - the World War II era?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
First of all, what do YOU call affordable??? Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Me thinks a “Mauser” is going to be a lot more than what the OP considers affordable. You can get yourself a couple quality hunting rifles for the cost of a K98. Heck, I think even the Yugo M48’s are going for over $500 if you can find them. My suggestion is to visit your local pawn shops and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
You can find any number of sporterized Mausers for a reasonable price. Most will even be set up for scopes. People have spent a ton of money making better than factory rifles out of them but unfortunately you can't get what you put into them back out of them. A 300.00 sporterized mauser will likely have had close to 1000.00 spent on it building it up. An unmolested military rifle will cost a chunk of change. I wouldn't waste my money on a Mosin Nagant. They're rough and clunky. An FN Mauser will be as smooth as a civilian rifle.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
I agree. I've got a Husqvarna bolt gun from 1936, and a Savage 99 lever from 1941. Very cool guns. And absolutely able to take down any deer on this continent, including elk and moose.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Me thinks a “Mauser” is going to be a lot more than what the OP considers affordable. You can get yourself a couple quality hunting rifles for the cost of a K98. Heck, I think even the Yugo M48’s are going for over $500 if you can find them. My suggestion is to visit your local pawn shops and see what they have to offer.
Really? Wow, I have one of those that my step-daughter gave me about 25 years ago. I know she got it for $69.00

In the gun market today there isn't much I would call "affordable".

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Really? Wow, I have one of those that my step-daughter gave me about 25 years ago. I know she got it for $69.00

In the gun market today there isn't much I would call "affordable".
Mausers in military configuration have been going up for quite some time. I have seen some nice sporterized 98's in the local pawn shop for 300 or so.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
I picked up a sportered ‘03 Springfield up for $300 a couple years ago and brought it back to its original configuration. I doubt you’ll find anything like that now.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I bought a K31, which seemed like a great idea until the surplus ammo disappeared. I'll bet there are people like me looking to get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What I was going to suggest has already been mentioned the Mosin Nagant rifle. They are still a fairly cheap rifle, the ammo is easy to find until the last 6 months & most are still accurate.

·
Registered
380 Posts
+1 on the Mosin Nagant. 91/30's will be the most easily come by. (Full size Rifle) Personally I like the Carbines and have a couple. (M38 & M44.) They run considerably more $$ though.
The 7.62 X 54R round is very potent. (Akin to a .30 .06)

My Carbines are quite accurate, my Next door neighbor/Buddy has a 91/30. (His is accurate as well.)

·
Super Moderator
39,999 Posts
Once I got the rear sight far enough to the right, my M44 was really accurate.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A friend of mine hunted with a Chinese SKS 7.62 X 39. It'd been sporterized with a synthetic stock. The magazine had been modified to hold three rounds and the bayonet lug had been removed. Shot good and looked good as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts