The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looking for any help identifying this pistol as far as age, where it's from, & guesstimate on value. I can't find any markings on this pistol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Just my opinion, and I certainly am not an expert on old flintlocks, but it looks Italian to me.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
I can't tell you anything but, being a Cardinal fan, I have to ask about "Pujols", what does it mean?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't tell you anything but, being a Cardinal fan, I have to ask about "Pujols", what does it mean?
I've been a Albert Pujols fan since his rookie season in 2001. I only wish he can play in the American league for a few more years to beat that fake bonds HR record... Albert has been a class act, true mentor, and a great man ever since I started following him. The 813 is my birthday August 13th...

·
Registered
924 Posts
The lock looks like a Patilla (spanish) Miquelet. Which would date it from sometime between the 16th
century and last week. It does look a bit Spanish . Also to me looks a bit north African. Could have
been rebuilt a number of times like old Jezails----it is literally a lock, stock and barrel.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Albert is a class act, for certain and still revered in St. Louis. Needless to say, St. Louis is a baseball town, though I wouldn't live there on a bet, and the ovation Albert received his first time back with the Angels was.....incredible. We were surprised to see him go to the Dodgers.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The variety of workmanship is interesting. That brass head knocker on the butt shows some
expertise and an artistic eye. The rest of it--not so much. The sideplate and trigger guard
could just be the result of a rough life--although those two perfectly round holes in the sideplate
are a bit odd. Parts of the lock look like they were beaten out on a rock over a goat dung fire.

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
The sideplate and trigger guard could just be the result of a rough life--although those two perfectly round holes in the sideplate are a bit odd.
The trigger guard looks like a copy of a copy of a copy, those two round holes in the sideplate were for the lock bolts on the gun it originally came from, you can still see the impression of the lock bolt heads. The lock is attached to the stock with modern brass wood screws from a hardware store. Just my humble opinion but I think it's something that came from an "antique" dealer in Afghanistan.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
I don't believe it's a shooter......... :giggle:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I don't believe it's a shooter......... :giggle:
It might be a decorator now, but I believe that a large part of it was a functional firearm(s).
The scrape marks on the frizzen, the detail on the ramrod head look old/real. Northern
Africa or middle east? Afghanistan/Pakistan/Turkey maybe? I think that most of it is an old
gun, modified and patched up with what was at hand over the years, maybe tossed in the
scrap barrel and resurrected one last time to sell to tourists in some middle east bazaar.
It would be interesting to put a flint in it and see if the lock works.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
I agree with you, Bill.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is there any kind of value to a pistol like this?
Not even going to guess--other than to say "not much". Value is probably as a decorator.
Hopefully somebody will be along shortly that has some clue as to its dollar value.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Doesn't the slotted screw on top of the reciver date it 1840's through yesterday. ?
and the two circle's carved into the wood are definitely alien in design, also seen on ancient megaliths around the world, possibly the blueprints for crop circles.

View attachment 255965
I have to concur with the assessment of that receiver tang screw. Definitely circa Ace Hardware.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts