The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a savage sporter model 23a .22. S/N is 34###. I understand these models were made 1923-1933. Based on the S/N is there a way to narrow down the estimated date of manufacture?

Also, are there any diagrams or a manual which still exist for this gun?

I inherited it, it was owned by my great grandfather's brother who had polio as a child & was in a wheelchair most of his life. He lived in rural Northern MN & got a lot of use out of it. It is a special gun to me & I am hoping to learn more about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also looking for confirmation that the gun I have is indeed a model *23a* (it doesn't say 23a anywhere on the gun, but does say it on the clip).

Barrel states: “Manufactured by Savage Arms Corp. Utica NY, USA Patented Nov 28, 1905, Sept 7, 1915, Sept 4, 1917, Nov 20, 1917 – SAVAGE SPORTER”

Clip states “23A. Sporter or NRA Match Rifle. 22 Long Rifle. Savage Arms Corp. Pat – April 28, 1908”

Also pictures attached

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Think I might be able to help. I've got a copy of a 1939 Stoeger catalog and I think you'll find the the 23 AA (which was listed in the '39) is a Model 19 (which Numerich has listed) with non target sights.

You'll alsofind that the 23B, C, & D are the same rifle, just chambered for the .22 Hornet, 25-20 and 32-20.

Very good shooting rifles. We had one or two in my College shooting rack and I when they were surplused, sold for between 5 and 15 dollars. Me? On I spent a very hard borrowed $10.00 for a pre war Winchester Model 52.:D:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it has a dual firing pin it is a 1922, only made in that year. The same bolt that the 1919NRA uses. In 1923 they changed the bolt, single firing pin. In 1933 it was changed to 23AA & the 1919NRA was changed to the 19/33 NRA. The picture in Rocketman's post is the 19/33. Different bolt & magazine. The 1922 & early 22A's were called Sporters before they put the 21A on including the 3 center fire rifles. The Model's 40 & 45 were called Super Sporters and came in 30-30, 300 Savage, 3006

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Surprisingly, I have found parts for the 23A on ebay several times in the past year. Picked up a complete bolt assembly for $45, and two magazines, which are hard to find, for around $50 each. Numrich sells a magazine that holds 7 rounds, but it does not seem to fit the earlier rifles without some work. Ammo, as always with rimfires, is up to the rifle. They all shoot something better then everything else. The one I have does really well with the Remington subsonic long rifle loads. It's a great old rifle, enjoy it!

As a matter of fact, there are four magazines for this rifle on ebay this morning!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.