The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea a range of when this was manufactured? Still okay to use? Any other information? I was recently given about 30 box of this stuff. Thanks in advance

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,450 Posts
Chootit.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,005 Posts
I have no idea what the A/D or 223c might be, but I have ammunition older than many of our members - maybe most - and it shoots reliably. I wouldn't hesitate to use this stuff, even though the boxes may look a bit dated.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The red and white box is from the mid 1980’s do to bullet weight of 64 grains. It will need a 1:7-1:8 rifling twist to stabilize the bullet. That color schema is their original U.S. sales packaging. The camo box is from the late 1980’s through mid 1990’s. The Ball M193 is a 55 grain bullet that will stabilize in 1:9-1:10 and in some 1:11-1:12 rifling twist. Again packaged for U.S. sales. Look for any stamp on code either on outside of the box, or on the inside of the box end flaps.

Check that ammo for any heavy corrosion, such as flat black spot, or crusty turquoise in color, as those cartridges cases can rupture if fired. If corrosion is a light to a medium brown color, and relatively smooth to the touch they will be OK to fire. If the cartridges are in good condition, well lucky you. Almost worth their weight in gold considering the ammo shortage.

FYI. PMC is a South Korean ammo manufacture who initially started to produce ammo for the South Korean Army back in the late 1960’s. Do to the increasing popularity of the civilian AR15 here in the U.S., and the increasing popularity of the 223 Remington cartridge for small game and varmint hunting, and the favorable U.S. trade relations with South Korea, in the mid 1970’s, PMC started to export ammo to the U.S. for civilian sales. PMC is quality ammo on par with U.S. brands such Remington, Winchester, and Federal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The red and white box is from the mid 1980’s do to bullet weight of 64 grains. It will need a 1:7-1:8 rifling twist to stabilize the bullet. That color schema is their original U.S. sales packaging. The camo box is from the late 1980’s through mid 1990’s. The Ball M193 is a 55 grain bullet that will stabilize in 1:9-1:10 and in some 1:11-1:12 rifling twist. Again packaged for U.S. sales. Look for any stamp on code either on outside of the box, or on the inside of the box end flaps.

Check that ammo for any heavy corrosion, such as flat black spot, or crusty turquoise in color, as those cartridges cases can rupture if fired. If corrosion is a light to a medium brown color, and relatively smooth to the touch they will be OK to fire. If the cartridges are in good condition, well lucky you. Almost worth their weight in gold considering the ammo shortage.

FYI. PMC is a South Korean ammo manufacture who initially started to produce ammo for the South Korean Army back in the late 1960’s. Do to the increasing popularity of the civilian AR15 here in the U.S., and the increasing popularity of the 223 Remington cartridge for small game and varmint hunting, and the favorable U.S. trade relations with South Korea, in the mid 1970’s, PMC started to export ammo to the U.S. for civilian sales. PMC is quality ammo on par with U.S. brands such Remington, Winchester, and Federal.
sweet brother thanks a lot! I went through each individual box and checked each round, the ones with any corrosion orblemishes I took out, and put them in a box together. I think I counted around 4 that weren’t in the best of shape. Any idea what the A/D or c marking is?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
sweet brother thanks a lot! I went through each individual box and checked each round, the ones with any corrosion orblemishes I took out, and put them in a box together. I think I counted around 4 that weren’t in the best of shape. Any idea what the A/D or c marking is?
Did some Internet digging and all I found was the 64gr PSP bullet mite be a Winchester, Pointed Soft Point that PMC loaded, but no explanation as to what the “C” refers to. The 223A/D is a copy of the NATO M193 cartridge that PMC loaded that mite be a Sierra bullet. Again, I couldn’t find a reference to what the A/D stood for.

How bad is the corrosion on the suspect cartridges. Post pictures if you will, if not just for my curiosity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts