The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this post is in the proper place, just joined this forum. So I went to the range today to put some more rounds through my new Springfield XDE 9mm. This gun now has 262 rounds through it. #138-262 were put through it today and are shown in the pictures. Decided to bring my Canik TP9 with me as well since it is also chambered in 9mm. This gun maybe had 20 rounds through it prior to the 75 I put through it today, so these are both pretty new guns, not even broken in yet. My issue is the fact that today I was consistently shooting the XDE up and to the left (2 weeks ago when I shot it for the first and only other time I was shooting it down and left) and I shot the TP9 down and to the left. I was shooting them back-to-back alternating between them and putting 16 rounds at a time trough them. They were both shot single action, not rapidly, taking as much time between shots needed to feel accurate. I shot from 7 and 10 yards. The outer ring diameter on the targets is 5 3/4 inches. Looking for what would cause these discrepancies so I know what to work on. Besides the fact that I suck I want to know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Shooting outdoors? The way the sunlight huts the front sight can cause groups to move from day to day.

To see what the gun is capable of, keep the front sight out of the sun and rest your hands in a sandbag rested on the bench. If there is a difference between rested and offhand then it is you pulling the shots. A trick that taught me better sighting some 30 years ago was to concentrate as the round goes off on the sight picture. Try to remember the last sight picture before the gun recoils...it is a kind of follow through. Also practicing every day helps. I shot an adult precision air pistol in my garage every morning before work for over a year. Those two things turned my shooting accuracy around.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Hope this post is in the proper place, just joined this forum. So I went to the range today to put some more rounds through my new Springfield XDE 9mm. This gun now has 262 rounds through it. #138-262 were put through it today and are shown in the pictures. Decided to bring my Canik TP9 with me as well since it is also chambered in 9mm. This gun maybe had 20 rounds through it prior to the 75 I put through it today, so these are both pretty new guns, not even broken in yet. My issue is the fact that today I was consistently shooting the XDE up and to the left (2 weeks ago when I shot it for the first and only other time I was shooting it down and left) and I shot the TP9 down and to the left. I was shooting them back-to-back alternating between them and putting 16 rounds at a time trough them. They were both shot single action, not rapidly, taking as much time between shots needed to feel accurate. I shot from 7 and 10 yards. The outer ring diameter on the targets is 5 3/4 inches. Looking for what would cause these discrepancies so I know what to work on. Besides the fact that I suck I want to know what you guys think. Thanks.
The pie chart that firedog posted will help you see why your shots are going where they are. LD's advice is spot on. Mix in some dry fire as well, but make sure the gun is empty, no ammo close to hand, and then check it for empty again! The problem is what is called "Trigger Control". And we all suffer from improper Trigger Control every now and then! Perfect Practice make Perfect!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. These shots were taken in an indoor range in a standing position. I had seen that chart before and was somewhat familiar with it. It just seemed odd that I was making two completely different mistakes between each firearm when shooting them back to back. Although, maybe that's not as weird as it seems, when taking the differences between the firearms into account (weight, grip angle, sight picture, etc.). I know these firearms are much more accurate than I am and any poor groupings are my fault, not the guns. I guess I just wanted to know if this is common experience or to be expected? Again, thanks for the replies guys. :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It may not be possible in an indoor range, but do you have someone that could observe while you shoot? Or set up a gopro camera that might help you see what is going on. Sometimes it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts