The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m trying to figure exactly what my great uncle has here. So I’ve done a little bit of research very quickly and within a couple minutes I was able to find very basic info. I get it’s a British bulldog style, possibly a webley and Scott??? The main thing that keeps throwing me off is the barrel length. Now I haven’t seen the gun yet just pictures that have been sent over to me but possibly a .38?? Also the proof marks by the barrel starting from the top down goes:
- a crown
- a capital R
- looks to be a capital A

Now I could find the proof markings for the crown and the R and it resembles one from Birmingham but the A throws me off again

Then the serial by the trigger partially stands out and I believe may be missing some numbers to start I dunno but the final three numbers is definitely “346” looks to possibly be “1346” but then again every serial number I could find was longer then four digits so I assume it has been scratched off or maybe there is only four I dunno.

If anyone can help it would definitely be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly resembles my American manufactured Forehand Wadsworth British Bulldog 38 I have ....... here is a link to one that sold recently........ see what you think
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...r-w-ammo--high-condition.cfm?gun_id=101246732
Yes very similar I had come across these while searching just couldn’t find a barrel length to match. The one you sold had a 2 1/2” barrel on it no? The one that I have is closer to 1 1/2” this is the main part that is stumping me which is frustrating cause I think I’m getting hung up on this one issue lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
BELGIAN BULLDOG STYLE POCKET REVOLVER .........Copy of bull dog
Belgian bulldog.jpg

·
Registered
857 Posts
If it's Belgian it probably has an oval with the letters
E L G in it and a little star. If there is a crown on top
of the oval it's 1893 or newer. No crown--1892 or older.
Look on the rear face of the cylinder for the oval. The
crown over R is a belgian smokeless powder proof.
Probably means your gun is 1900ish or newer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So was finally able to go look at it myself and take some good better pictures.

So there is the “R with the crown” and below that is an “A with a star above it” both those are next to the barrel.
Then on the cylinder there is the (ELG in the oval with a crown above and the star below the letters inside the oval) also with the same looking “A with star” as by the barrel, but also the letter “C with a star” which I can’t find a proof mark for either of these two letters

Then they all have the number “72” punched on them so I believe that a production number when sold??? Saying they all go together or? What y’all think. The serial number I originally thought there must have been more to it but definitely only “1346”

Things a neat little gun that’s for sure

Attachments

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
The proof marks are Belgian the crown over R denotes a rifled barrel, the A and C with stars over them are marks by the controller of proof at the Liege proof house.
The oval with a crown is the mark of final proof and is post 1893.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Here's a listing of Belgian proof marks and date and controller of proof codes if you'd care to look them up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about an overall pic of the pistol.
There should be some at the top of the thread but here’s some more

The proof marks are Belgian the crown over R denotes a rifled barrel, the A and C with stars over them are marks by the controller of proof at the Liege proof house.
The oval with a crown is the mark of final proof and is post 1893.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Here's a listing of Belgian proof marks and date and controller of proof codes if you'd care to look them up.
You the man. I couldn’t find the date marks anywhere could only ever find lower case letters never capitols lol. So with all that I can date this gun between 1924-1940

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts