The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking to buy my first handgun in the next few weeks and wanted to get some input on my choices. As far as usage, I plan to use it mostly for fun at the range and home protection(not really planning to carry). Anyways, with that in mind, these are the three options I'm looking at now:

(used) Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm-$450
(new) American Tactical 1911 GI .45-$425
(new) TISAS 1911 GI .45-$430

So if you were in my position which would you pick and why? Any other options I should consider in the sub $450 range? One last question-- there's a gun show coming to my area Jan. 5-6 and I've never been to one. Is it worth waiting and looking at what they have or am I likely to just be price gouged at a show?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,828 Posts
Deleated

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hey guys,

Looking to buy my first handgun in the next few weeks and wanted to get some input on my choices. As far as usage, I plan to use it mostly for fun at the range and home protection(not really planning to carry). Anyways, with that in mind, these are the three options I'm looking at now:

(used) Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm-$450
(new) American Tactical 1911 GI .45-$425
(new) TISAS 1911 GI .45-$430

So if you were in my position which would you pick and why? Any other options I should consider in the sub $450 range? One last question-- there's a gun show coming to my area Jan. 5-6 and I've never been to one. Is it worth waiting and looking at what they have or am I likely to just be price gouged at a show?

Thanks guys
Find a gunshop with a range that will let you rent guns to try out on premises. Many do. Try out the 3 that you're looking at as well as others, then decide. You don't buy a car without taking it for test drive, why buy a gun without doing the same?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Ruger SR9c, and love it. Loaned it to a friend that was taking a cpl class, and he loved it (surprised I got it back). It is in the same price range that you are looking at. Mine came with a 10 round short magazine for easier concealment, as well as a 17 round mag with grip extension.

My daily carry is either a Ruger GP100 or Ruger SP101, but occaisionally, the SR9c comes with me.

Check it out, some people love them, some people want nothing to do with them.

Tim

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
for that price range in 1911's, find a rock island armory, they are cheap and have very good reviews all around.

but like said, try 'em before you buy 'em if you're unsure!

Welcome, and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
any friends with guns? any ranges that rent?

having said that.. for your stated purposes.. I'd get a 45...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I can help narrow it down by one. $450.00 is too much to pay for a used PX4 Storm. You can buy a new one close to that price or just a few dollars more. But given your price range I'd personally go along with aa1911's suggestion of a Rock Island 1911.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
CZ75 or 85 in 9mm. same price range. Better choice IMO.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
9mm ammo is cheaper, so that might make it easier to spend more time at the range. But any of the guns you listed would be good choices. Find one that feels good in your hands, and that comes at a good price and enjoy it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Like others have said, try them, fire them, find the one that fits you best.

The Ruger SR9 has been mentioned and I 2nd that. Check it out. Also, take a look at a Sig Sauer P250. It is available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. and is priced at around $435. But, the cool thing with the P250 is it is a modular frame, meaning, you can easily swap components to change the weapon from full size to compact, or, change the caliber. Nice options, you may decide to carry one day.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
All you mention are fine weapons.As gunny said ,find a range and try em out Different hands mean a diff fit. i carry a Ruger p345 as it fits my big mitt well. Ive also got a springfield arms 9mm. a tad small for me but works for my wife and son. then you have ammo, 9mm is cheaper than 45 so more bang for your buck. if your thinking just home security a mossberg 20 ga with pistol grip works well. Or has for me in both times i had to use it. I chose a 12 ga pistol grip but thats me. anyways good luck bud .

·
Registered
358 Posts
As many have said I would recommend trying them each to see what you like. The 9mm will be the cheapest to shoot, but the .45 will be the best bang for your buck. Just a matter of your preference and feel in your hand.

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
You can find police trade-in Glocks for about what you want to spend. That should tell you all you need to know about the best bang for your buck. IMHO 9mm will get it done and a Glock will give you the peace of mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts