Looking for some rifle information

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by azsigman, Apr 16, 2009.

1. azsigman

azsigman New Member

I am looking for an inexpensive rifle for hunting if it should become necessary for our survival. I went to Cabela's yesterday and asked to see a Remington Model 770 since this is what I had been looking at online. The guy showed me one and said " Remember, you get what you pay for. We call this the Mattel rifle." He then showed me a Marlin XL7 and seemed to think that this was far superior to the 770..although, as far as I can tell, the two, price wise, are very similar with the difference being the scope already mounted and ready to sight in on the 770.
    Let me say that I KNOW these are inexpensive rifles and, probably would not hold up for years and years as a more expensive rifle probably would. However, this is solely for a " feed the family hunt" since I gave up hunting several years ago due to declining health. What say you ? Either/ or ? Advice please. Thanks alot.....

2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hey azsigman,some times you hear the phrase ,you get what you pay for you are probably paying to much. Nothing presonal CABELAS is the last place I would go to buy a rifle unless you have no other choice. That said the two guns you looked at are good guns. Any rifle you buy new at say walmart or a gun shop would work real well and could last for decades with the wright care .You dont have to spend a fortune to get a good rifles I have seen remington and savage with good scopes mounted and ready to go at several locations. Another option you have is buy used ( Ive done it ! ) A good gun shop can help alot, If they have not been cleaned out by panic buyers!!!! Best of luck in the future.

3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

my opinion is get a nice used 30/30 good round lever action is tough to beat. priced right. you can find good marlins/mossbergs and winchesters that may not look so hot but function fine. not sure around your area but i see them by me in IL. for 250 to 350 depending on condition

4. islenos

islenos Active Member

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Winchester Model 670 which was the "economy" model of the Model 70 line. It has taken 37 years of use and abuse and it is still going strong. I say pick what you are comfortable with and go with it!!

6. azsigman

azsigman New Member

Thaks ALOT gents...Appreciate the help.

7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

The Remington 770 is not the best, but it is a good reliable rifle. It will serve your purpose well. If you keep it oiled and don't run over it with a vehicle, then it will still be dropping game 100 years from now.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  8. bizy

bizy New Member

Hey azsigman.. Don't let these people fool ya. I have been working with my 770. Absolutly great. At first I had my reservations, but not any more.

I can also understand about looking for food when our county ends up in the tank. I have seen it coming since June of 2006. Since that time I have been hell bent on prepairing for the worst. I am glad I started stocking up on ammo and firearms. I have stored several thousand rounds for each of my 43 guns. Not counting the guns I gave to my kids and grandkids. I have reloading equipment and bullet moulds for every caliber. I have watched the price of ammo double in the last year. I don't know what is going on, but I aint gonna get caught with my britches down.

There's a storm brewing!

9. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

az, i dont have experience with the marlin but i do have i guess you could call it second hand experience with the 770... my best friend/hunting buddy had a 770 in .300 win mag for about 2 years. he had several hunting rifles but had never bought one himself and decided to buy one. the only reason he sold it was because he needed the money and couldnt afford the ammo for a .300 loud'n'boomer:p my friend occasionally stops in here and posts.. his username is FireRescue911. send him a pm.. ill let him know to be expecting it and im sure he can give you his pro's and con's on the remington:D

10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

WEll I really like cabela's but its not my place for firearms. I checked out a 770 at wal-mart thursday, 450.00 it seemed to be a decent piece for the price, and it is a remington, should last well into the next century as long as you take reasonable care of it. Havent checked out the marlin so I cant really make a judgement on it, all I have by marlin is lever guns. I gotta agree about buying a used lever gun though, you can get them from 225.00 and up. I really love my marlin 336c in .35 remington.

11. johnboat

johnboat New Member

well it has been my experience that a marlin is an excellent firearm the one i bought 15 or so years ago still looks as good as it did when i took it out of the box even after se veral hundred rounds , the latest one i got also is of excellent fit and finish and also appears as a "new" rifle even after many rounds in fact even though it is a diffrent catigory it is the nicest lever action i have ever handled and it has been in my humble opinion that the cheaper marlins hold value as good ,or better than the cheaper remingtons i mean that is not been proven scientificly but just my experience. the marlin that i had as a kid a model 60 semiauto .22 has had at least 10,000 rounds fired through it and is just as accurate today as it was 25 or so years ago,now i am not "down" on remington or anthing they also make a quality rifle i personally so far just prefer marlin :) p.s. make sure u choose the caliber wisley IE, price, proven ,available,ect.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  12. Asigman, if you're looking for an excellent rifle for a decent price, take a gander at the Stevens Model 200. It's made by Savage to serve as their "lower end" model. It's not fancy, but extremely reliable and accurate.

13. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

AZ you may want to consider one of the combo packages from Rossi. You will get a shotgun and rifle barrel for the receiver. Of course it would be a single shot but for the purposes you described I think it would fit your need quite well. Also they are not that expensive.