The Firearms Forum banner

Looking into a new rifle, soon.

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  zkovach 
#1 · (Edited)
Sometime between now and my birthday, next year (April). I'm aiming for American (yay, right?) Not costing to much money (I try to stay around $500, or less), in .308Win, not fluted (complicated to explain, but lets just say I don't want it to be weaker than my Mosin M38...that and the fact it looks fugly) and has iron sights with provisions to install weaver mounts. Stock wise, it doesn't matter, synthetic or wood is fine. (I lug around a 7.5lb rifle, at the range. Weight is not a problem.)

I was looking at a Mossberg ATR in .308, but there site indicated that they only do fluted barrels in .308 with weaver mounts in either walnut or black synthetic stocks. So, any suggestions would be helpful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it has to be bolt action.

#2 ·
to me the savage is a very good choice,i own three in the 110 tactical class.i have had no problems at all.the new triggers are adjustable and savage makes one of the best barrels in the industry.i have been involved in the forum for quite a while now and i dont think ive seen one problem with the later model savage. old semperfi

#9 ·
Ishapore Lee Enfield in 308 , get a T model and it'll have the good chrome bore then do what you want to it it'll outshoot anyone who holds it and will cost a fortune in ammo to wear out
I agree with Jack on this one. OP stipulated iron sights, and under $500.

#11 ·
i like both.

if the op is looking for super cheap.. them new walmart black stocked guns with scopes are less than ? 300$
OP wants iron sights, and will spend no more than $500.

#12 ·
OP wants iron sights, and will spend no more than $500.
And the ability to install Weaver mounts for a scope, if I so want one.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

#14 ·
Someone mentioned Savage and they are nice. I have a friend that owns a gunstore and he recommends the new Ruger American. I bet you could grab it in .308, 30-06, or .270. Any of those 3 would compete with a Nagant. Ruger makes a good product. I don't have an American yet, have the old M77s though and they ROCK!!!
I wouldn't recommend any NEW Remingtons. Their quality is total garbage. They are living on their name alone. They have crap customer service too, and normally won't even respond to inquiries anymore. They are too big for their britches. I hope Ruger and Savage knock off a big chunk of their market share because they deserve it. Remington's ammunition is going to crap too. Poor quality compared to Federal and other manufacturers. Pretty easy to get a 15% failure to fire rate from bulk Remington .22 shells. I had one Federal that I had to double tap in about 20 bricks. That isn't even 1% failure.
One guy told me his new 770 in .300 Win Mag I believe had to be opened by beating the bolt with a small 2x4 after each shot. That is quality! That is after they worked on it....came back as it left. He didn't think they even looked at it.

#15 · (Edited)
I was going to suggest this, but MSRP $999
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/index.html

It's really hard to find models with iron sights, most manufacturer's seem to leave them off nowadays. Especially the budget rifles (~$300) Savage Axis, Mossberg ATR, Marlin X7, Weatherby Vanguard, etc. But if you're looking at used guns, it should be easier to find one under $500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.