The Firearms Forum banner

looking to buy a 9mm

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  graehaven 
#1 ·
Im finally going to get a 9mm pistol. Ive looked at a couple at Gander Mountain. but I would like to get some feedback from some of you. What are some of your favorite 9mm pistols. Are they easy to use, load, clean, ect. What king of safety do you prefer, ect.

#4 ·
What king of safety do you prefer, ect.
My favorite style of safety is keeping my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot. :D

Realistically, many handgun safetys are not designed for quick access to the firearm. Unless you can disengage the safety with the thumb of the shooting hand while gripping the gun correctly, you're better off just relying on the the DA trigger pull as your safety feature.

Shooter45 hinted toward the Springfield XD, but I don't particularly like them. I like SIG a whole lot better. But I do not own (nor have I ever) a 9mm. It's a good cartridge, but the right piece at the right price at the right time has never been a 9mm for me.

#5 · (Edited)
Some of my favorite... the Glock 17 is one of them. I thought it was a very comfortable gun. I was accurate with it. It was lightweight. Good gun in my opinion. The SIG Sauer P226 is another one many people like. I thought it was a good gun too.

For loading, cleaning, user-friendliness - Glock comes highly recommended by me.

If you're not into Glock, I'd definitely try out the Springfield XD. Everyone I hear who has got one loved it.

#6 · (Edited)
I already have a S&W SW40VE .40 for home defense but I'd like to get a 9mm for CCW.

After looking at various 9mm pistols for a year or so I finally discovered the new Ruger SR9-c which is a compact version of their SR9.

Check it out, it's a beautiful weapon and the test reports are very favorable, plus it's made in America.

I looked at one at a local gun dealer and will soon get one.

I haven't lusted after anthing this much since the first time I saw Raquel Welch in that cave-man movie.

#7 ·
Thanks for all your help. But I decide to google the next gun show in Columbus Ohio and found that there was one today & tomorrow( WHO KNEW?) 3/6 & 3/7. So I went and looked for a couple hours. Finally decided on the Smith & Wesson SW9GVE. I was set on the springfield, but due to cost & such I went with the S&W. After taxes & the rebate it only cost me about 280.00. Hope it is good one. Sure feels good in my hand. Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah, Mmmmmm.

#8 · (Edited)
Congrats on your new SW9VE Sigma. I just bought a SW40VE Sigma and I have been out once to the range. I put 100 rounds through the gun with no issues. I am a double action revolver guy and the Sigma suits my needs. Its accurate enough, fits my hands better than most guns and the price is what I can afford. I am happy with the purchase and I feel you will be too.

Good luck,
roaddog28

#9 ·
Thanks roaddog. They had the 40's right next to the 9s. Both looked good, but my heart was set on a 9, always has been. Ive always liked all hand guns (all guns really) but the 9mm has always been my choce. Today is a dream come true. I am proud to own a 9MM. I feel better about home defense now!

#10 ·
Thanks roaddog. They had the 40's right next to the 9s. Both looked good, but my heart was set on a 9, always has been. Ive always liked all hand guns (all guns really) but the 9mm has always been my choce. Today is a dream come true. I am proud to own a 9MM. I feel better about home defense now!
Lone Wolf, your 9mm Sigma will be a excellent home defense pistol. They are easy to operate and accurate out to 15 yds. The Sigma is a good combat type pistol. I think they are safer because of the DAO trigger. Less chance of a accident.

Good luck,
roaddog28

#12 ·
I also second the XD pistol. If you seek a good accurate and utterly reliable 9mm the XDM cannot be beat, plus it holds 20 rounds chambered and comes with all the gear...

#13 ·
I think you'll like the Sigma. I've a 40ve and it is more than accurate out to 50+ when plinking. I have some pistols that are 3 and almost 4 times as costly- and my Sigma shoots group for group as accurately. The hard trigger will get smoother, dry fire the heck out of it and practice on the range a lot too.

#14 ·
Hi Lone Wolf,

I just bought the S&W Sigma VE9 Friday night. Went out and shot 150 rounds through it this afternoon at Darby Creek Shooting Range in West Jefferson. Everything worked like a charm. I like the double action trigger since I'm used to shooting revolvers in DA mode. I was also looking at the Ruger P95, but the Sigma just felt much better in my hand. I bought the gun for home defense and for fun. Hope you injoy yours as much as I know I will enjoy mine. (I'm also from Columbus.)

Take Care

#16 ·
For Carry I like the Ruger SR9c 9mm shoots well, accurate, low recoil, nice trigger.

For Home or Range the Stoeger Cougar 9mm -- Very nice shooter
Is there a reason you're running through old forum posts and posting just about the same thing/recommendation over and over and over and over? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.