The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,659 Posts
It's a rolling block action, looks like Egyptian writing on it. Remington made these things under contract for a lot of the world's militaries and also sold license to manufacture them to several arms companies.

Springfield never made any rolling blocks that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assumed Springfield because it’s been in the area for a minimum 70 years just kind of stored at my parents house. It’s always intrigued me to find some story or something. There is very little marking on this rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,659 Posts
Rim

Found a picture of a .43 Egyptian showing the barrel marking. There is also an Egyptian cartouche on the left side of the receiver just forward of the pin retainer on this rifle.

Made in Liege, Belgium. Belgium didn't honor patents from other countries unless the patent holder manufactured firearms in Belgium.

France bought 200,000 of them after Egypt cancelled the contract. If yours was purchased by France it probably won't have that Egyptian cartouche on it. It might have some Belgian proof marks on the barrel's underside.

·
Premium Member
15,389 Posts
Yes they are Ripper, from Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Egypt, the US and maybe some I'm ignorant of. I didn't know until I read Griz's post that Belgium made them as well. Oh, yeah, who used the 7mm Mauser in the Roller? Spain or one of the South American countries? They're also in about as many cartridges as you can shake a stick at. Good ol' rifles and fun to play with.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Oh well! I was hoping for some sort of little local history. Looks like these things are all over the place.
Well, they were at one time very common. But today finding one in very good condition is getting harder and harder to find. ( and the value is going up all the time $$$$ )
The "rolling block" rifle has a long and interesting history. These rifles have one of the lowest failure rates of any rifle made and considering how many millions have been made , that is quite the achievement.
My sugestion to you is give that rifle a light coat of oil and hang it on a wall.
When your buddies come over you can sit there and tell stories about some long lost relative taking the rifle from some solder at the foot of the pyramids.:D:D

·
Premium Member
15,389 Posts
Any good gun oil for the metal and linseed oil or boiled linseed oil is about as good as it gets for the stock. Go thin on the linseed oil and rub it in. It'll probably soak it up like a sponge for a while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.