The Firearms Forum banner

Loops for more than looks?

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Big Mak 
#1 ·
I was just curious about the loops on different lever actions. Do bigger loops on the lever serve some sort of purpose, or is it just for aesthetic?
Gun Firearm Trigger Line Gun accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Ever tried to use the small ones with gloves on? That would be my guess. I can barely fit my fingers in them. If I hunt when it is cold, I cant wear a right handed glove.

And possibly it was made popular by John Wayne in one of his movies. I think True grit he had one like that and spun it around to load it.

#4 ·
I've never liked the reverse curve of the traditional lever. It is quite painful on my finger bones. The larger loop will at least give your fingers a break.

And in your example photo, the designers changed everything they could to make the new version different from the old version. The size of the loop was just one more feature.

#5 ·
Actually, Duke used it first in the 1939 Stagecoach.

The one shown on the laminated Marlin up top was designed for gloved use. Wild West Guns, up in Alaska, came up with a takedown 45/70 for bushplanes, and the slightly oversized lever was because it gets cold in Alaska, so shooting while wearing gloves was something to consider.

The ones with the REALLY BIG loops

are just to look cool.

I've got one. It looks cool. But I seldom take it out to play because that big loop is just a pain in the butt to use.

I've been thinking for some time about putting a normal-size loop on it, which would make it a much more useful gun.

#6 ·
I switch them allot from small(normal) to large.
It is usually because the owner is using it in the winter for hunting and are wearing gloves. Sometimes it's because they are to small for big hands. I am told that they were used for quick shooting or spin loading like the Rifleman did (The TV show) in the beginning. (But do not know that for sure.)
Mike

#7 ·
John Wayne used an enlarged D loop on a Winchester in the 1937 movie 'Stage Coach'. As far as I know this was the first time an enlarged loop was adapted for the Winchester. Stuntman, and actor, Yakima Canutt fashioned the D-shaped lever that enabled Duke to spin the Winchester. I don't know where he got the idea, but it worked. Steve Mc Queen used this lever on his rifle in 1957 in the TV show 'Wanted Dead or Alive, and Chuck Connors used it in his TV show 'The Rifleman' in '58. This was from an internet search.

Hat Shotgun Gunfighter Air gun Shooting

#8 ·
Yeah, I've seen John Wayne use the big loops on his films, excluding stagecoach, and I've seen the rifleman use a big loop lever gun. I can understand the use of gloves, because I've been there with my 1895. It just seemed to me that it would make chambering another round take longer, due to the increased distance. But yeah, I guess my question was answered, and it's more about the looks of it. Thanks fellas.

#9 ·
I be,Lieberman ...if I'm correct...that the Duke had the lever springs removed or replaced with lighter ones in order that he could spin the rifle with one hand...I don't think it would be possible to do it with a standard lever rifle......mine has the standard loop but I have polished and lightened the springs so that it can be operated with my little finger...

#10 ·
I can spin-cock mine. Ain't no big deal, once you dig the front sight into your bicep a couple of times while learning how.

They cut Duke's barrel down to 16", so he could spin it without it getting caught in his armpit.

As you can see, mine is also 16".

Chuck Connors, on the other hand, had long enough arms that he could spin-cock a standard 20" barrel.

The guns had another modification. There was a little teat put in at the top of the receiver.

When the lever is all the way forward (open) the cartridge is out of the magazine and just sitting on the feed ramp (waiting to be shoved into the chamber) held there by nothing but gravity.

When spin-cocking, when the lever is all the way forward, the gun is upside down. If you tried to load a live round (or a blank) with an unmodified gun, the shell would fall out the open top.

The little teat keeps that from happening.

#12 ·
I can spin-cock mine. Ain't no big deal, once you dig the front sight into your bicep a couple of times while learning how.

They cut Duke's barrel down to 16", so he could spin it without it getting caught in his armpit.

As you can see, mine is also 16".

Chuck Connors, on the other hand, had long enough arms that he could spin-cock a standard 20" barrel.

The guns had another modification. There was a little teat put in at the top of the receiver.

When the lever is all the way forward (open) the cartridge is out of the magazine and just sitting on the feed ramp (waiting to be shoved into the chamber) held there by nothing but gravity.

When spin-cocking, when the lever is all the way forward, the gun is upside down. If you tried to load a live round (or a blank) with an unmodified gun, the shell would fall out the open top.

The little teat keeps that from happening.
very interesting.

#16 ·
Read an interview with him once. He said that mod was required by the producers.

He said that he could hold his finger in the right position to machinegun the rifle, but the powers that be were afraid if he was off a tad he'd ram the trigger through his finger, losing them shooting time while his hamd healed.

Reactions: carver
#17 ·
When talking about fast, take a look at what SASS shooters are doing with the old lever guns.

For example, Spencer Hoglund, who goes by the SASS alias "Lead Dispencer" and has won SASS world and regional championships, was filmed cranking off 10 shots with his Uberti 1873 short rifle in just 2.20 seconds.

And Steve "Deuce" Stevens, starting with a shouldered Marlin 1894 with the action closed on an empty chamber, fired 10 hits on a steel target in 1.73 seconds. No wonder he was top male shooter at the 2010 Winter Range SASS Nationals.

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting-tips/cowboy-action-shooting-secrets/#ixzz4IXKulQG0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.