The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the firearms that I inherited from my dad was a Lorcin L9MMS. I know about the reported bad history of these pistols. This pistol has had about 5000 rounds through it in the last 5 years with no problems(must of got a good one).
Took it to a indoor range and noticed that the bullets were key-holing the target. I was using Winchester 115 grain, switched to Federal 110's and 105's with same results. I starting to think the problem lies within the pistol even though I can still get several head shots on the silhouette at 40ft.
Does anybody have any thoughts about why this is happening (other than it being a cheap pistol) and how to remedy it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sorry to give a bad opinion, but I've never heard anything good about Lorcin's. When H.R. 218 was signed a good many LEO's I knew bought inexpensive "carry gun's", Lorcin .380's and 9mm's. No ones's worked well enough to consider carrying for self-defense. None were accurate when they did shoot. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
47,198 Posts
I read part of an article in some gun rag the other evening. They were talking about this problem. I did not read the whole article but they were mentioning the twist rate of the barrel and the weight of the bullets, they spoke of how people never paid any attention to twist rate in a hand gun but that it was just as important in a pistol as it was in a rifle.

That is about far as I got to read before a supervisor came by and I had to go back to work.:D

G

·
Bullet is too heavy for the twist.

But I am still in shock you got one to hold together for 5k + rounds.

I don't like them because for every one sold in a store 3 were "LOST" out the back door of the factory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Moody, read the rest of the article when you go back to work. LOL
Maybe some day I'll find THE right ammo, I'm surprised that it I was able to do so well with tumbling bullets at 40ft. 74 shots total, 58 in the silhouette, 8 head shots, 1 neck and 40 in the upper torso. The rest hit in arms and lower torso with the remaining 16 close to the silhouette.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I wouldnt trust my life to a lorcin. more of a tackel box gun than home defense. M&p's are sweet. good choice

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
i've got a chromed one in 380.. kinda like a hi quality zip gun.. :)

This one actually does acceptable at 25yds on a silo target.. body shots only, and aimed.

drop down to 15yds and you can 'guarantee' body shots.

10yds and head shots are quite aimable

5yds and head shots are 'ez'.

it's maybee had 2-3 boxes thur it it's entire life.. thankfully. :)

i upgraded from that to a sig P230 what a difference. i tell ya. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.