The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot more new reloaders entering our hobby recently. I assume this relates to the proposed federal legislation, Obama's executive orders and a general feeling like our rights are under attack once again.

In NY, ammo purchasers must complete a background check and the info is kept in a data base and forwarded to local police. Purchases of ammo components like powder and primers are not subject to a background check, however.

I assume many of the new reloaders live in NY.

·
Super Moderator
47,723 Posts
You may be right for New York. I started reloading back when you could actually save a lot of money by "rolling your own". Now I am glad I did because the ammo shortages have not really effected me. I have plenty of ammo because I do reload.

I think the availability of ammo may be the biggest reason why so many are starting to reload their own.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The same happened back when BHO was elected the first time. The panic buying of all the ammunition left the store shelves empty. Then when everyone heard that "Hey, you can reload", well there went all the componets(California also proposed an ammunition regulation too-so that didn't help any).

You will also start to see these types of posts:

Can I use Small Rifle primers for Small Pistol?
Can I use .358 Diameter bullets in my .355 Diameter 9mm?

And many other variations. Basically they all come from people who got into the reloading game late, and there are no supplies left and are desperately trying to make thier own ammunition.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I compare the new reloaders during these times similar to the people who hit the gym after the new year, by February everyone has dropped out and the regulars are the only ones standing. I bet by April lots of good deals on lighly used equipment and supplies will be abound.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
No secret club, and no offense 25, lots of people jumped in after the 08 debacle because they wanted ammo that was no longer readily available. Only to realize that reloading is a lengthy road to learning and dedication, not overnight ammo production.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I got into it for the peacefull atmosphere I get while doinf it. Yes I noticed I saved A LITTLE, but I noticed I shoot more because of it, Which I'm Happy about. I don't know it all, but I read this forum and learn alot of stuff from all of you...Thanks. In fact I just learned about a BULGE BUSTER 10 minutes ago..I shoot 40 and really don't have a problem with this...once in a great while I'll hgave one I can't get to fit, but not often. Do I need to woory about this bulge buster,,,Yes, I shoot a glock 22and love it. Agian, thanks for all your knowlegde and experience.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Reloading is'nt rocket science and simpler than most people believe...COMMON sense and an ability to understand the written word/simple math...I've gotten at least 20 preople loading in the past 5 yrs....I tell them to buy a single stage or turret to begin(regardless of how much money they have),then I offer to help them set up and learn step by step how to SAFELY load ammo.I still make that offer to anyone in S.Al,N.Fla....
Another item I always tell them to buy is a chrono-they are dirt cheap for what you learn and last a long time until some idiot puts a .308 hole in center:)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
It's neither peaceful nor a hobby to me.
I started 40+yrs ago for accuracy in each gun
and simply to know what's inside of each round.

We didn't have the availability of a chrono or
some other tools til recently. Everything was
measured CUP and we only had paper data.
We basically guessed at speed and pressure.

I had an experience a couple yrs ago with some
shelf ammo [S&B .357] and a brand new revolver.
I thought I would 'choot it up' and rotate the stock.
[it was prolly about 10yrs old.]
Less than 10 rounds and it locked the cylinder up solid.
I shot some of that ammo in my T/C and you would swear
it was a rifle round. I have never seen .357 that hot.....
not even my hunting rifle loads. It was only that one box,
and I bought several of the same at that time.I still have about
20 rounds left. Sellier & Bellot said send it to them.....I won't,
what are they gonna do...? They have the lot # and it's old.
I know most shelf ammo is safe. Prolly undercharged if anything.
I just like to know what's in it.

I know in this craziness right now, it is peaceful to not have
to think about getting ammo.
Even components are at a basic standstill. My order from Graf's
placed 1/1/13 will not be here til mid February they say.
I don't need it.
I guess I should retract.......reloading IS peaceful to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been loading shotgun shells for several years. I started back in november looking into reloading brass. Since the &%%$##$ hit the fan I have backed off. Presses and supplies are basically non-existant. What you can find is way overpriced. Who knows what the future has in store. I decided to wait a few months and see if things drop back to a norm or if obummer keeps people scared.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got into it for the peacefull atmosphere I get while doinf it. Yes I noticed I saved A LITTLE, but I noticed I shoot more because of it, Which I'm Happy about. I don't know it all, but I read this forum and learn alot of stuff from all of you...Thanks....... Agian, thanks for all your knowlegde and experience.
When I bought my equipment about a year ago, I bought it intending to start reloading. But didn't have a place to set it up until recently. I too enjoy doing it for the relaxation, and the fun of shooting. Alot of info has been learned by this site and the good people on it. With the Muslim in office, it may come to the point where reloading may be the answer.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
cost is the biggest one for me. (OK, who am I kidding, I LOVE to reload!)

and the chrono, I don't know why I put if off for so long, it's probably the single most useful tool in testing your reloads for performance! $100 will buy you a nice one these days.

Rifle, I can load for about 1/4 or 1/5 of the cost for common stuff, about 1/50th of the cost of stuff like .458 win mag.

Pistol, I save about 50-60% ish or roughly half price.

Shotgun, I reload simply because I like to reload; shot loads, it's actually cheaper to buy commercial. But buckshot and slugs or steel and specialty loads, you can still save a ton.

Shotgun used to be half price also until lead jumped from $13/bag to almost 50.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been reloading for the past two years and have only bought around three cases of 5.56 for my new AR in that time. The past few times in Walmart, I like to visit the ammo case "just to look" and the few different stores do not have hardly anything left in it. I absolutely love reloading and Im an ammo junkie. I stocked up enough over the past two years with powder and primers and have a duffle bag full of brass from years ago so, the only thing I really need are .45 bullets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.