low recoil loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by scottShryock, Apr 6, 2009.

1. scottShryock

scottShryock New Member

My 12 year old wants to use my 270 winchester , I usually load somewhat hot loads . I recently saw Remingtons low recoil loads and began to wonder , what powder would a fella use to create a similar product as i already reload ? Thanks in advance I usually just read , except when I have a? Scott

2. army mp

army mp Member

I load mid range 150 Grain 270 for my wifes Deer Rifle, A Savage bolt action. she is small and 60 years old and has not complained yet.

3. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

You could try a "start load" of about any powder listed in your manuals. That'll be a noticeable decrease from "Max" hunting loads.
    If you really want to get serious about downloading check your manuals, Speer comes to mind, for IMR's SR (sporting rifle) powder that's listed as a reduced load. SR-4759 if I remember.
    One step even below that is to research "The Load" here in this forum & around the net. Using either Red Dot or Unique powder you can get 22LR recoil from your deer rifles.

4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Light starting loads is a good place to start and using the lighter range of bullets will help lessen recoil too.

5. RodneyJ

RodneyJ New Member

see if you can find a copy of Hodgdon's 2009 Annual Manual got my copy at wall mart. there is an article in there about reduced loads. The author talks about working up light loads for a friend's son's 270. he has reduced loads listed for quite a few calibers from .260 to .450 he has five different loads listed for the .270 using bullet weights of 110gr and 130gr

RodneyJ

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

use the lightest bullet the rifle will shoot accurately and load it with a starting charge of the fastest burning powder listed in your manual for that bullet in that caliber. you will have the lightest recoiling load possible without looking for specifically reduced loads for a particular purpose. This works for everything listed in any manual...

7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

I like Red Dot for mild loads in bottleneck rifle calibers. 12 grains will push a 130 gr bullet with enough velocity to group well at 100 yards, with recoil no worse than a .410 shotgun.