The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am loading some .44 mag 225gr leverevolition for my Taurus 44 and I was wondering if I should use a Large Pistol Primer or a Large Magnum Pistol Primer? It doesn't specify witch one in my hornady 8th book. I will be loading them behind 13.6gr of 2400 and going up by .2gr till about 14.6gr to see what load has the best group.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Mag primers, especially with the 2400. Looks like youre after a good load for shorter range deer hunting:ya:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I have a shot that's right at 30 yards that will be perfect for this load when I get it down. Thanks to Highboy I finally was able to get a set of dies for it. Everything around here has been out for quite sometime.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
It should specify which primer to use. You can find it at the beginning of the section that you are reloading out of. I have the 7th edition so I am assuming that if you go to the beginning of the 44 leverevolution section you will find it specified there.

Streetbob, if I can find some .44 mag brass do you want me to buy it and send it your way?

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Just as a 'rule of thumb', if the cartridge's name includes the word 'magnum', then you should use magnum primers for load development.

Not being the wiseman of the mountain, I like to use magnum primers whenever I can get away with it. Ignition is hotter and more reliable under most conditions than are standard primers. I do use standard large pistol primers with my cast lead .44 magnum target and plinking loads, but I always use magnum pistol primers for my jacketed 'serious stuff' loads.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought a box of Winchester as one of my first primer purchases. They are for both. I used them on some magnum loads with AA#9. I use CCI LP on my .44 Special loads.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Magnum primers aren't necessary for igniting 2400. I use standard primers in .44 Magnums with every powder I use except W296/H110 and WC820...

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Yep, I have a shot that's right at 30 yards that will be perfect for this load when I get it down. Thanks to Highboy I finally was able to get a set of dies for it. Everything around here has been out for quite sometime.
Yep he's a good guy.
He called me today to see if i was still looking for a #16 shell plat for my LNL AP.
Can't find them around here, and he had found 2.
I did manage to find one.
Thanks for thinking of me though buddy.
But thats why I love this forum.
Guys like Good old HighBoy. Who cares if he likes purple nail polish.;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I have a few boxes of Federal Magnum Large Pistol Primers I am going to use on this load and see how it works out. Highboy if you get a chance check it out for me. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts