Lube And Resizing .223 Not My Favorite Step In The Process!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by flyingtiger85, Jan 10, 2017.

1. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

image.jpg Man,I woke up this morning and my arm is sore and I still have one more bag full to finish.The bullet seating die/finish product step is more fun.
    Hand gun 38 and 9mm you can do all day but there's a little elbow grease in resizing rifle rounds.

2. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Check out the ergo handle from "Inline Fabrication."

3. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I break mine down and do like 200 at a time, not too bad like that.

4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Sounds like you aren't using enough lube. I find that properly lubed bottlenecked cases are just as easy, possibly easier than pistol cases.

5. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I think he knows how much lube to use. Too much is just as bad cause you will dent cases by hydraulic force.

Flyingtiger, I know what you mean. I had lots of rifle ammo loaded and didn't have to start loading again until about a month ago and it is a slower process for sure. The part that slows me down is the sizing and triming
    once I get that done and have a nice bowl full of brass, then I go to the Dillon and start knocking them out, which is the FUN part. Something about pulling that handle and hearding the clunk of a fresh round dropping into the bin puts a smile on my face

keep at it... the juice is worth the squeeze

6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You need grandkids to do that part.

7. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

I resize and deprime, and trim a lot of rifle cases before putting them in my Dillon also. For some reason, I thought I was the only one doing it that way. :cool:

drymag and dbcooper like this.
  8. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

I hate .223 as a lot of it is military surplus and has those horrid military crimped primers and its so stiff. Just like I hate doing 7.62LC brass. You fight on the first sizing on that brass. Commercial .223, and .308 are a breeze, and take nothing at all

firefighter1635 and drymag like this.
  9. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I started using Highboys idea of primer pocket gage. It was cheap and I found out some of the military crimped didn't need swaged and some brass had pockets a bit to large so I set them aside for bolt action.
    I also do my brass work in the winter so they are ready to go in the summer. I gave up shooting in the rain, snow, ice, and so forth in the winter.

firefighter1635 and howlnmad like this.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What's the primer pocket gage you speak of?

dbcooper likes this.
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

What press do you use? Some give you more leverage than others, rcbs rock chucker for instance.

If you think 223 is bad, wait till you do 30-06

firefighter1635 likes this.
  12. Killshot1

Killshot1 Active Member

Yeah yeah I know how that is.. Got a crap ton of 223 from the marksmanship club at school. Had to sort it all by military/non crimped, then size, then trim then load. For 9mm, I just wash check n load!

13. mogunner

I actually PREFER military brass with crimped primers, as you can be assured that it is only once fired. A lot of places that sell brass will say it's at LEAST once fired...well, that could it's someone else's reloads and they left the brass behind because they've loaded it five times already. I use a Lyman primer pocket reamer chucked up in a cordless drill, doesn't take much at all.

14. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

It's great knowing it's once fire, but it kills my hands after a lot of them.

15. mogunner

I've got arthritis in both hands, not too bad most of the time but if I do stupid stuff...so I split everything up and do them in smaller quantities than probably a lot of folks, and look for the easiest way to do things. I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like, which is bad since I have my own 100 yard range right behind my shop, so I don't need to reload 1k rounds in a weekend.