The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I wanted to revisit loading the .45 and .38 with Unique and Bullseye powders. Tried the Unique first and was very surprised to find that it would not meter through my RCBS powder measure without resistance and when it finally dropped I found small lumps of powder stuck together. Tried the Bullseye with the very same results. This has never happened before with any powers I have used and I just don't get it. It was not that long ago when I used them both without any issues and they are secured in the factory containers with a tight lid.

When I dump samples of the powders in a dish all the grains remain separate but when they are run through the powder measure the grains mush together on every throw. I do not have this problem with Win 231 which is my other go to powder.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Hope you get it figured out. About 12 years ago I started reloading again and used up some Unique, Bullseye, 700X, Blue Dot, and some IMR powders by Dupont. They had been stored in an uncontrolled environment (pump house) for 20 years, and they all worked fine.

Reactions: drymag

·
Registered
227 Posts
Patches, what GDMoody said, I had a similar problem with a Lee Auto Disc powder measure a while back, the spring return was hanging up, so I oiled the hollow shaft on the outside of the measure, and some of the oil worked it's way inside the chute where the powder comes thru, gummed it all up! I had to clean the inside of the chute thoroughly with alcohol, and dry it out with paper towel.
Both Unique and Bullseye have a tendency to "bridge" on some powder measures, and can give erratic readings, especially on small pistol charges. (Hey, they don't owe us anything, after all they are both over 100 years old, in their original formulations!)
I suspect that Win. #231 runs O.K. because it seems to have more graphite in it's make up, and has always been one of the best metering powders.
I admit to knowing nothing about the RCBS powder measures, but would give the chute a thorough cleaning on it, and try that, you'll be surprised at how much gunk collects in them!

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Static cling?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well folks, thanks for the replies. To the question / suggestion on lubricating the powder measure - nope, I have never done this and haven't a clue on how to do it. Owned this measure for almost 30 years and never lubricated it before (that I can recall), but would gladly do so now if I know the process. I think I can pretty much figure out how to clean it, but the lubricating part kind of has me flumuxed a bit.... Must be some sort of dry lube; graphite comes to mind.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well, what you're describing isn't common so I figgered it may be the way these two powders were stored (absorbed moisture?). "Clumps and clods" seem to be from the powder's "dampness". Jes a thought as I've not experienced this...

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Make sure that the powder is not decomposing. While rare, it happens. Usually smells foul, sometimes changes color, sometimes becomes soft. A while back there was an IMR powder recall where some number ( don't recall ) was undergoing significantly premature aging and actually deteriorating.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the powder measure apart, wiped down all the parts with a dry rag and reassembled it. Ran some W 231 through it and after cleaning any residue it worked fine with Unique / Bulleseye too.
Here is what I think happened.... I had gotten into a bad habit of not tightening down the lock nut after dialing in the correct powder charge. I had convinced myself that weighing the first and last charge in every load block on the balance beam verified that the charges were consistent. However, when I cleaned the drum I found a quantity of powder had accumulated and packed around the mushroom head of the crowned measuring screw and did not permit the screw head to properly seat. Works now and thanks to all for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts