The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. squandered some range time and ammo today.. :)

went and picked up a box of fiochi 145g ? LRN 38sw (short)

wow.. the 38 webley and the victory revolver are NICE I love that ammo!! i like those guns better than my T85 38spl!!

next.. the .455 webley's I have 2.. one is still in .455 and I had some hornady factory loads. LRN, can't recall grain?? 265gr maybee.... shot as expected. felt like anemic 45acp to me.

the other one i have not fired. in fact.. just now looked at it after getting it months back.. now i remember.. this is the one that has been cyl-shaved/reamed thru and came with moon clips.. so I didn't fire it... figured 45acp as some said.. would be like proof loads!

now.. here's my question.. I've been having great luck with trailboss making tame laods for some of my guns.

I got 1/2 pound of it left.

can i take some 45 acp cases.. trim them to match my spent 455's and load using the trailboss ( 100-70% load, no compressed loads.. etc.. ) and push 230gr fmj?

will that work? be safe? ok pressure?

would love to use that 2nd '45 cal' webley. I got it cheap as it had been shaved.. etc. put it up after asking a few questions about it months ago and forgot about it.

thanks!

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
I picked this up from a Hodgdon's site on Trail Boss.

>As noted in the powder description section, Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol cartridges. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets.
These reduced loads make firing such cartridges as the 300 Winchester Magnum or even the 458 Winchester Magnum pure fun!

Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to
follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:

Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!

Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.

Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins.<

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail Boss Reduced Loads R&P.pdf

Sounds like it outa work.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's the way i read it to.

pretty much any smokeless cartridge. find the 70-100% fill, and stay outta compression and go.

sounds good to me.

I missed the part about working fine with jacketed slugs.

so all good. I'm set for the 45acp to convert for the webley.

I still need to get my 455 webley dies for relaoding the 'real' webley cases. ( already got 45acp dies.. etc.. )

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:

Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!

Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.

Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins.<
really?! they expect you to basically go outside published data and make your own?

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really?! they expect you to basically go outside published data and make your own?
for many cartridges, there will be NO published data, so they are telling you haow to safely use their powder.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
That's why they invented that powder. It has the advantages of black (you can fill the case up without risking blowing up your gun) without the disadvantages (it's not corrosive).

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's my almost favorite powder... right next to imr4064!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts