The Firearms Forum banner

Lyman 1858 info?

9K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  1858lyman36 
#1 ·
HI All, I was digging around and found your Forum, it looks informative and friendly, so I signed up. I've got a .36 cal Lyman model 1858 Remington (looks like it was made by Uberti) and really like shooting BP. I've read a lot of the posts in here and have learned much and I found the Uberti Cap & Ball Instruction Manual, also very helpful thank you very much! I'd like to find more info on the Lyman products, like when they were made, what all the stampings mean, how's the quality compared to others, might there be any reviews published of them, etc..
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Lyman imports were made by Uberti and ASP. The 1858 Remingtons were made my Uberti. More info on Lymans. You can verify this by the Uberti stamp on the right side of the barrel which is a u surrounded by an octogon outline.
The year stamp is on the irght side of the revolver just above the top of the trigger guard. for quick reference, here is a chart of the year codes.

I own two New Armies and am well pleased with them. The Lyman 58s are excellent quality, old fashoined Uberti quality with one exception:
Does yours have a pawl ring around the cylinder? Every one of the Lyman Remmies I have ever seen that had been fired or cycled did. Easy to fix, but once the damage is done, it's done. It will be there until you refinish the cylinder. My thing is the plain steel look so it don't really matter. I have removed the blue on one and plan to do the other. After removing the blue the pawl ring was still there, the bolt spring had to be worked on a bit to fix the problem. After sanding the pawl sanding off after fixing the problem, the plain steel revolver looks pretty sweet.

#3 ·
FANTASTIC! Thanks for all the info!! Looks like I've got a 1970 vintage, with a XX7 stamp on the frame; Uberti mark on the left side of the barrel, with 2 star stamps, what looks like a coat of arms and PN stamped on the right side of the barrel and the frame. It's got a very light cylinder ring (not even all the way around) not enough to bother me and not nearly as bad as S&W's. I know it had been shot prior to me and I've put a couple hundred rounds through it too.
Thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.