The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use the Lyman M dies? If so what for and why and in what press?

I have heard that they lightly flare/bell the case mouth pistol/rifle cartridges so bullets seat easier. Especially on a progressive press. No sticking on the powder drop with expander.

have not used them personally, but was wondering what others experience is like.

TD

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
They are wonderful. If you are loading cast bullets in a bottleneck rifle case, you really need one.

I got one when I was loading cast in 30-30. I later used it for 30/06 and for 308 and for 30/40.

As you can see by the picture, it has a long shaft, then up at the top there's a slightly bigger in diameter shoulder. Let's say you're doing a 30 caliber. The long shaft gives you a beautiful 307 case neck, and then you bump it at the very top on that wider shoulder and you have a 310 case mouth, with which you can easily start your 309 bullet in.

If you don't need that extra flare at the top, that's not a problem. Just don't screw it in as far. The place that I bought mine - and I don't remember whether it was Midway or Cabela's or who - sold them as 308 M die and 30/30 M die and 30/06 M die, but they're all the same thing. It's just a 30 caliber die. You can use the same die in any 30 caliber cartridge. So I ended up with two, because the 30-30 worked so well I bought a 308.

In the picture one has a longer shaft than the other. The longer one is for pistol. Shorter case requires more reach.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that is correct. You can select a cartridge, but the die box just has the caliber of the bullet it’s intended for on the label. I bought a set of them (well individual dies, in calibers I use) recently on midway, as many were on sale. I haven’t had a chance to use them yet.
so would you remove the expander ball from your sizing die if running progressive press?

I have a few cast bullet and also some coated bullets, but I think if they operate as smoothly as I am hoping they will, I’ll use for everything, pistol too, to keep the bullets in place on the progressive plate.
TD

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I've never used a progressive. Always loaded on a single stage. And I changed from doing two die bottleneck cartridge loading to using five die. Take the decapping rod and expander ball out of the sizing die. Then I would:

Universal decapping die, and deprime.
Sizing die, and resize.
M die and get the neck and mouth the way I want.
Seating die, and put the bullet in the case.
Lee factory crimp die, which finished it off and made it perfect.

Took a whole lot longer this way, but I made better ammo.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Lyman M dies described, look like another version of RCBS Cowboy dies for loading cast bullets.
Since the M die came out first, technically the RCBS cowboy dies are another version of the M die.

Reactions: TRAP55 and Gudaki
1 - 9 of 9 Posts