The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
Before I started wet tumbling, I used exactly what you are showing. I always used the green colored Lyman corn cob media in it, always with good results. When it started taking longer to clean, then I would use the Lyman rejunivater to "bring it back to life".

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the same tumbler, and have always used corn media. I rejuvenate it with turbo bright brass polish when I feel it needs help. After putting the polish in, I tumble for about 30 minutes to mix it in real well, then add brass.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I use "Lizard Litter" from Pet Smart (ground walnut shells) and a cap full of Nu-Finish car polish along with several USED dryer sheets cut into strips to minimize the dust. After I tumble a batch in my Lyman 1200 I discard the dirty used dryer sheet strips and add new ones. Works great. The walnut media at the pet store is way cheaper than the Lyman offerings.

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
Use the same Lyman tumbler. I like walnut and use the nu finish car polish on the walnut. After cleaning several thousand cases without changing the media. I drop about 6 used dryer sheets to clean the walnut. The sheets come out black and repeat process until they began to come out clean. So I recommend you use save all the dryer sheets so that you clean the media.

A side note my Lyman came with a smaller bowl. I use the small one to powder coat my bullets.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Corn cob, 80 -100 grit to absorb case lube. Run it for 30 minutes. I don’t want the cases to shine like gold. I want the cases to expand and grab the chamber wall to properly seal the hot expanding gas. This practice will reduce case stress and stretch prolonging cases life. Since I have been doing this with some rifle cartridges I have had over fifteen firings with only having to trim every third firing and only having to trim .003-.004, and this is with some loads that exceed max listed loads by 2-6%, although with those loads the primer pockets will over expand after a while. Since I only use bushing style sizing dies, case necks are not over worked, and I have not found a need to annealing the case necks. By properly storing my loaded cartridges and fired cases in U.S. military ammo cans with desiccant, I am not worried about corrosion.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
Walnut and cobb mix with Dillon polish added. But mostly wet tumble with ss pins now.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my tumbler works great i polished my brass for 3 hours, it looks brand new on the outside but the primer pockets and flash holes are still dirty and the inside is still dirty, how long do you have to run it to get the primer pocket and inside clean, another 3 hours?

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
my tumbler works great i polished my brass for 3 hours, it looks brand new on the outside but the primer pockets and flash holes are still dirty and the inside is still dirty, how long do you have to run it to get the primer pocket and inside clean, another 3 hours?
That fine ground walnut shells get in and clean everywhere, and corn cob media gets stuck in the flash holes so you need to inspect every last one.

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
I never tumble that long, but in fairness most of my brass is range brass so all of it gets deprimed first and goes into my Hornday sonic cleaner for 30 minutes which does a good job of cleaning inside and the primer pockets. After I dry them I’ll polish them for about 30 to 45 minutes which come out pretty good. I store thousands of cases in plastic tub containers with lids that have gaskets. They remain shiny for years.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I use a very small blade flat tip screwdriver to scrape the primer pocket bottoms. I know a lot of guys don't want to bother with cleaning the pockets that well and think it a waste of time. Two reasons I do it: one is that the primer residue can build up over a number of reloadings, and I want my primers to be fully seated against the brass cup. The other id that many of my rounds are long term storage, and I feel better if there isn't any old carbon or residue sitting next to the live primer compound for extended periods.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts