The Firearms Forum banner

M-1 30 cal Carbine value

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Coulee 
#1 ·
This is going to be probably a re-hash, however; I purchased a M-1 carbine from J&G Sales in the late 80's. The rifle had been hand picked by a employee from a pallet of others. I then used it for varmit hunting, plinking and as a general Jeep weapon (more bite than a .22) and it served me well for several years.
The ser # is 4943XXX, the barrel is stamped INLAND MFG. DIV, GENERAL MOTORS, 1-44, as well as BLUE SKY/ARLINGTON VA, from what I believe the rear sight is a type 2, there is a strap and oiler. I have stripped down the rifle and found no evidence of any other stampings. The receiver is stamped U.S.CARBINE, CAL.30 M1 (top front), the rear stamping is partially covered by the rear sight, what can be seen is INLA _ _ _ DIV, 4943xxx. There is a bayonet lug, the stock has no markings beyond normal wear and tear.
I am seeking a realistic value.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Doug, Funny I was just on a phone call with a guy I know from a gun club, and we got to talking about this very carbine. I too have a M1 Carbine 30 cal...Stamped Inland MFG , General Motors, 3-44. This is also stamped on the side of the barrel Blue Sky Arlington Va. My serial number begins 512, which would follow suit since it was 2 months newer than yours. I have the ammo belt, some 10 rd. mags and the banana clips/ speed loaders that fit the mags. I believe it's all original as it was part of an estate. I too would be curious as to the value. Mine is in very nice shape, stock is clean and well preserved.

#3 ·
I can't give you a exact value on yours, but if interested, here is a site that had a lot of general information about the M1 Carbine.
http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/

It appears that yours was built in January 1944 and with the barrel marked 1-44 then it is probably the original barrel. I did look for "Inland M1 Carbine" on ********* and came up with several being sold in the $1000 range. That would be a general value!

#7 ·
Generally unmolested Inland carbines are fetching several hundred these days, sometimes more if any of the parts are particularly desirable.
That's for an non-import marked rifle. Subtract $100-$300 for the import mark.
The site mentioned is an excellent one.

#10 ·
Yessir, I mentioned that site being a good one as it's a great place to start to figure out if any of the components of a rifle are rare/desirable. Many carbines/Garands change hands just for one small part thus the price of any rifle might have more to do with 1 or 2 parts than the actual complete firearm.

#9 ·
My gunsmith is an avid carbine fan and just a week ago finished his collection of nice carbines made by all 10 manufacturers. I believe I remember correctly that there was 10 in total. Anyway, I asked him about mine, an Underwood with the Blue Sky import and not what one would consider "nice". He told me, from what he had seen lately, that nearly all of them would bring around a grand if offered at a good venue for them. Personally I don't know but I do trust his opinion.

Reactions: jedwil
#11 ·
A much nice looking Inland M1 Carbine you have. An Inland M1 Carbine purchased at gun show ago many years having copy aftermarket stock I have. Remainder other parts look original. Barrel stamped 7/44, with bayonet attachment, round bolt, sling have Korean letters and on receiver is serial number 2968XXX. Factory and reloaded ammo works and fires well . Two other M1 Carbines Standard Products Saginaw Steering Geer models I have .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.