The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have chrono data for 115 gr lead bullet H110 loads? I'm using 115 gr LRN from Hunters Supply with 12.5 grs of H110. OAL is 1.625 inches. I tried a lighter load but my Winchester M-1 Carbine would not feed the rounds. When I checked the load in my ProChrono it clocked the rounds at 1733 f/s on average. The load cycles the carbine well and is accurate.

However, looking at my Lee Second Edition Manual, the velocity should be around 1500 f/s. Is this just a property of different bullets or is the manual out to lunch? I'm concerned that this load may be generating a lot more pressure than the load listed in the manual.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
CB - just for what it's worth, my Lyman reloading manual lists 2 seperate loads for the .30 M1 Carbine cartridge - 1 is a rifle load and the other is a pistol load.

They do not specify H110 for the rifle load. They DO list it for the pistol load, and according to my data, your load is a for use in a pistol- starting at 10.0 grains with a maximum of 13.5 grains H110 for a 120 grain cast lead bullet.

The only lead bullets listed for the rifle load are 1 at 113 grains and another at 130 grains, and neither use H110 powder. They say Unique, SR-7625, SR-4756, 2400 and IMR-4227.

The recommended powders for use in an M1 Carbine with JACKETED 110 grain bullets according to my Lyman manual are SR-4756; IMR-4227, 2400 and AA1680, with their opinion that IMR-4227 was the best of the lot.

The .30 Carbine is one of the few examples where there are seperate loads for both a pistol and for rifles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That explains the velocity difference. I will work up a load with Unique, instead of H110.

·
Registered
363 Posts
H110 is the default powder to use with the M1 Carbine round. To duplicate the military load with a 110gr. bullet, use 14gr. If using a 115gr bullet, cut the load back to 13.5 grains. Don't forget to use a Magnum primer with that powder. The target velocity is 1950fps to duplicate the military load.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Lead in a gas operated autoloader.. prolly not the most ideal choice. Especially propelled by H110, lead vapors will quickly gum up your gas piston and gas port. Which will eventually make the rifle not cycle anything very well.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I load 14.8 gr of H110 with 110 gr Hornady SPRN
The only load I have ever used

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will let you know how the lead rounds work. So far no problem, but I only have about 75 rounds with lead bullets through the weapon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am not going to say that JLA is wrong as he is much more experienced in this area than am I. What I will say is that I know people who shoot lead thru their Carbines w/o a problem. Flatbase bullets and those w/ gas checks lead less that bevel-based lead bullets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts