M-1 carbine question?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

mthunter
    (4/17/02 10:01:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All M-1 carbine question?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have recently bought a M-1 carbine, and it shoots about a foot high! I've heard that the front sight post was adjusted for each individual weapon, and that mine may not be athentic! Is there any truth in this? What can I do to correct this problem?

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/17/02 10:41:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: M-1 carbine question?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If the rear sight is adjustible, do you have it cranked down?

Carbines are pretty neat because each component part is stamped with one or more letters, and you can look them up to see if the Carbine is "correct." Now while the MAJOR components should match, they probably went through many arsenal rebuilds where minor parts are interchanged...and I do not THINK the front sight was different, regardless of manufacturer or subcontractor.

For Example the "code" for Inland is "I" so if you have an Inland reciever, most component parts should have an "I" stamped on it if manufactured by Inland, or an "IO" or something, in which the second letter signifies the subcontactor who made it for Inland...probabaly "Overton."

For example, if you have an Inland Reciever, and the sight is stamped "W" it is a Winchester replacement...we have a list of all the codes somewhere here in a post about carbines, but the subcontractor codes are harder to dig out, so the FIRST letter of a series is important...

I have a list of manufactureres codes, so if you tell me either the make of your carbine, I can tell you the code it should have on all the parts if original, or tell me the first letter of each code on each part and I'll tell you who made the repacement part....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

mthunter
    (4/25/02 11:05:38 pm)
    The sight doesn't seem to be able to be adjusted down. The only udjustments are for windage. The make of the carbine is a Universal, and I can't seem to find any markings on the rear sight.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/27/02 4:37:20 pm)
    Ah! The Universal was a commercially made copy of the military M1 carbine, made in the 60s and 70s if I remember right, and is not an exact copy...so my info wouldn't work...

Why don't you post this in "Ask the Experts..." some of the guys there who can probably help you don't come here that much, you will get more answers there, since it is actually a commercial, and not military arm...

I can move it there if you want...just give me the word...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

ldsteff
    (4/30/02 9:59:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Universal carbine
    I inherited one..The major difference is the gas piston,the springs and the slide--In the US carbine there is only one guide rod and one spring,in the Universal there are two guide rods and two springs which also makes the gas piston and slide different..The Universal was made in Hialeah(sp) Florida and there were a lot of different combinations of sights on the weapon..