The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all I am REDEYE and I am new here.I have an old M-1 Garand that I inherited from my dad,My uncle brought it back when he was in Viet Nam it was found in a cave stashed with some other weapons. I know there are tons of stories about things like this that never really

but uncle Johnny hadthe hookups and knew how to do this.My rifle has a five digit serial number tat is 690XX. I know it was made in like Oct of 1940 I think. I am not trying to sell this and prolly never would but I am curious as to its value I have some pics here and can take some more if needed .I can also answer any questions about other markings on it .The barrel has a date from the 50s 0n it . thanx for any help guys I look forward to yalls take on this rifle.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Good condition from what your photos show, probably right on the mfg date. Pull the slide to the rear and lock, on the visible portion of the barrel a barrel production date should be visible; this will show when/if the gun was re-barreled and give an idea of the year.
If it was a vietnam bringback it was likely re-arsenalled at least once post WW2. Look at the stock for any stamp dates or double marks. Original early Garand rifles would bring a premium, most were redone.

The rear sight looks newer than the receiver, the date on the barrel should "fill in the blanks". Post pictures.

Also, welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Forgive me if I am a bit skeptical of the story, partly because the rifle simply looks too good to have been stored in a cave in Vietnam.

In any case, it is an early rifle with the old sights and was not upgraded during WWII or later. It looks very much like one of the rifles sent to England in 1940. Is there an acceptance stamp or cartouche on the left side of the stock above the trigger? If so, a picture would be useful.

Value, because of it being early and not upgraded, I would WAG at $1200-1500 if the stock is original. FWIW, that rifle was one of the first made after the change to the gas port system, though it was never a gas trap rifle itself.

Jim

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Nope, this was the early sight; they had trouble with it staying zeroed and went to the lockbar sight through WWII. That is one of the upgrades that the rifle doesn't have, which makes me wonder where it was all that time. I have seen the red serial number on rifles that went to England, but I can't say it was used only on those.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the barrell has this stamped on the side SA6535448 12 65 MO53 I remember my dad telling me that he did replace the barrell as my cousin had shpot it at water {supposedly under the surface } and it damaged the original barrel{original as in as we got it} I have looked ofr the old barrell I remember it being in dads office but that is still fulla stuff so maybe it will show up someday.The gun was found in Cambodia stashed in cosmoline along with some other stuff from differant countries according to my uncles story ,he was an army Captain and did a lot of stuff he could not ever talk about as I am sure a lot of you guys know, he was not the kind to tell an untruth and I believe the story completly as to this rifles history in our family.my dad shot for the Fl Natl Gaurd rifle and pistol team as did his dad back in the 50s thru 70s so we had access to all kinds of parts for these rifles many Nat match stuff I sold all the extra stuff I found when Daddy passed away and now I wish I ha kept it all there was twoo footlockers full of parts an another full of stoicks and fore stocks it brought good money but I still wish I had it now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts