The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently had the idea to slap an M16 style bayo ( mainly the M9 )
on my 12ga 870 and was blown away on how much they cost. $100+
on a knife that goes on the end of a firearm...... ouch. Dont get me wrong,
I do realize they are MUCH more than a simple knife, but damn. So I am
curious about good quality clones/copies that wont break the back of my
wallet. Or am I better served with the real thing.
Jus wanna hear a few thoughts on this, thanks

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
The bayonets on the 'Trench' shot guns were either copies of, or original U.S. Model 1917 Enfield bayonets. You might try to find a bayonet lug from one of the Model 1897 guns. Even later versions of military shot guns used the same bayonet, even as late as the Viet Nam War.

The M-16 bayonets are much shorter than the 1917 bayonets. Of course the idea of the bayonet is to be longer and make it not as necessary to be quite as close for it to work. Just a thought for you.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
Back in the 80s there was an action series of books by Jerry Ahern. The Survivalist. John Rourke, the hero, carried a CAR 15, which I believe (at that time) meant a regular AR15 with a collapsible stock. In one book he has joined up with some of what's left of the US Army (Russian bombed us and then invaded). There are going somewhere through a sewer tunnel, and when they get to the end of it there is a grate set in cement blocking it. John is in the lead, and turns to the soldier behind him and says something like, "Give me your bayonet so I can dig the concrete out and remove the grate". The soldier says, "Why not use your own?" John says, " 'Cause I had to pay for mine. Yours was issued."

The thread just made me remember that, and I thought it was funny. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If Im not mistaken the 1917 bayo is more of a short sword:yikes:
How much ( if I can find one ) do you think someone will let the 97 lug go for?

·
Registered
105 Posts
BB, an original barrel shroud/bayonet mount for the M1897 trench gun will set you back about what you'd pay for a new 870...
Reproductions are available for a lot less; do a bit of Googling- I believe they even make them specifically for the 870. And repro M1917 bayonets are out there, too...
As for bayonets, you have to decide what it is you want. If you're just after an evil-looking zombie blaster then anything would work. As it's doubtful you'll ever actually use the bayonet to skewer some poor bastage then go purely for looks; quality doesn't matter in this case...

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Stede is right - ORIGINAL anything will be expensive. Seems to me that about 15 years ago Numrich offered reproduction bayonet lugs and barrel shrouds for trench guns. The M1917 bayonets are pricey, but it is the same bayonet as the British used on the SMLE No1 Mark III rifle, and those were pretty inexpensive a few years back.

Before I get jumped on about the British bayonet being the same, the US M1917 bayonets were stamped differently, and also had notches or grooves carved into the wooden grips to make them identifyable from the P14/SMLE bayonet. I have one of the early ones for my US M1917 Eddystone that has a pretty crude "U.S." stamp, but other than that it looks and fits just like the British bayonet that I have for my SMLE.

Don't know about the 'short sword' description. The US 1905 bayonet as issued on the M1903 Springfield and the early Garand M1 rifles was about the same length. I am no bayonet expert, but seems to me that the only reasons why the later bayonets were shortened was that the longer blades were not necessary to reach the vital organs, and there was the steel shortage of WW2 that also influenced that decision. As far a a pig sticker on a scattergun goes, if you want one - go for it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well....I've collected bayonets for 40 years now and I'm no expert myself but the P1907 bayonet for the SMLE is somewhat different from the P1914 for the Enfield rifle- they are identical except for the muzzle ring which is much higher for the P1914. The configuration of the bayonet is otherwise identical. Given the radical difference in height of the muzzle ring the authorities thought it wise to groove the grips on the P1914 so as to differentiate it from the P1907 for a soldier fumbling for it in the dark- given the confusion of logistics in the Great War troops in the same unit could well have been issued SMLE NoIII MkIs and Enfield P1914s.
The American M1917 rifle was the P1914 taken into American service when we finally entered that nasty grind of a war.

The bayonet on top is for the the M1917; below it is a P1907
The cat hairs are simply a constant here ;-)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
Seems to me that about 15 years ago Numrich offered reproduction bayonet lugs and barrel shrouds for trench guns. The M1917 bayonets are pricey, but it is the same bayonet as the British used on the SMLE No1 Mark III rifle, and those were pretty inexpensive a few years back.
Numrich is still offering the repro bayonet lug heat shield for the '97 Winchester (part #813820 @ $118.15), as well as repro US M1917 bayonets - which look very much like their SMLE counterparts, but have a different length crossguard.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the 97 `s bayo lug setup similar to the usmc 870 mk1/mk2. If so I could
( in theory ) play around with long enough to fit my 870.
And in truth having the option to stab someone/something is a case of Id much
rather have it and not need it.....
Defenitly gonna give numirch a look, oh and the short sword I metioned was from
a few years back at a local gun show. A vender had an 1897 trench gun ( could have
been a fake but dont know ) sporting a bayo with a 10in blade.

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
Is the 97 `s bayo lug setup similar to the usmc 870 mk1/mk2.
Hop on Google Image and enter Winchester 97 Trench Gun. That'll give you an idea of what the Numrich repro bayo lug/heat shield looks like. I installed one on a Norinco 97 clone - thus creating a Norinchester 97 Trench Gun, and with the correct configuration military buttstock - lower comb and 1 1/4" swivel (also a Numrich repro), it looks really nice. Biggest issue with this installation was the three cross bolts which are tightened to secure the split-ring bayo lug to the barrel. The original 97 Trench Guns had somewhat thicker barrel walls than their commercial counterparts - and the Norinco clone, and had three transverse cuts on the underside of the barrel to accomodate the three screws. Hand filing these cuts on the Norinco was a real nail-biting operation, requiring constant check and recheck with the calipers to make sure the cut didn't break through the barrel wall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts