The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned an M&P Shield EZ for a few months now, and I've put a few hundred rounds down range with it. Until the other day I'd only had one malfunction with it which I'm blaming on the cheap ammo I was using. A couple days ago I took it to the range with a brand new magazine, and two times the gun stove piped the last round in the magazine before it was fired. Can anyone tell me if this is an issue with the magazine being over pressured, or if maybe it's faulty? I don't want to use the magazine or mess with it until I can narrow down the issue, and I can't seem to find anything on this problem aside from a Hickock 45 video where he has the same problem (with the same firearm). Thanks for taking the time to read this, can't wait to see your comments.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
If the only thing that has changed is the magazines and it happens with all of the new ones, my guess is that it must be the magazines.

BTW, I am moving this over to the "Technical Questions" forum, which may be more appropriate for this kind of question.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
If it performed fine before the magazine swap, I'd look at the mags.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was thinking about buying one of those for myself in case the arthritis became too severe or for the women in the house until I started reading about exactly what you describe on the S & W forums. That seems to be a very common issue and last time I looked maybe 6 mos or a year ago, there wasn't a real answer. Lots of theories back then but maybe by now someone has figured this out.

Many were sent in for repairs and many new mags were issued but the problem never seemed to come to a conclusion as to why that last round sometimes stovepipes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about buying one of those for myself in case the arthritis became too severe or for the women in the house until I started reading about exactly what you describe on the S & W forums. That seems to be a very common issue and last time I looked maybe 6 mos or a year ago, there wasn't a real answer. Lots of theories back then but maybe by now someone has figured this out.

Many were sent in for repairs and many new mags were issued but the problem never seemed to come to a conclusion as to why that last round sometimes stovepipes.
I'm wondering if maybe the spring is too strong and just needs broken in, or if there might be a little too much spring. Regardless, I'm hesitant to tinker with a $30 magazine. The other two that I have seem to work just fine, but they've each seen a couple hundred rounds, and at least 100 before I bought it used. If you're still considering purchasing this firearm, I would highly recommend it. The only real problems I've had with it are the side safety, and the magazine release being incredibly easy to depress if the pistol is loaded to its full 8+1 capacity. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts