The Firearms Forum banner

M & P Bodyguard .380 question

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
I read the features on their website and would like to know what 2nd strike capability means.
I chatted with a rep at S&W and she stated that the hammer is basically at half-cock after the 1st round is fired.
I asked if the trigger was lighter or if the pull was shorter because of this and she said no.
So what good is it really? I'd like to hear from people who have used the gun and know the feel of the trigger.

Features
• Crimson Trace® Integrated Laser
• Stainless Steel Drift Adjustable Sights
• Two Magazines Included (Finger Groove and Flat Butt Plate)
• Ergonomic Grip
• High-Strength Polymer Frame
• External Takedown Lever & Slide Stop
• Manual Thumb Safety
• Double Action Fire Control (2nd Strike Capability)
• Stainless Steel Barrel & Slide
• Adjust Laser Without Any Disassembly of Firearm
• No Thumb Safety

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm thinking second strike capability here means that if for some reason that round didn't go off, you can just pull the trigger a second time without taking any other actions.
Interested to hear what others have to say...

Reactions: Sugarfoot
#3 ·
You nailed it. A lot of the striker fired guns offer this, but in reality the guns weren't made to do this, it's a by product from the way the pistol fires.

#4 ·
Yep, but my Bodyguard has a hammer. When I first got it, I had a few second strikes, not sure why, but it could have been due to either deeper set primers, or harder primers, or maybe a little weak hammer strike. I do know that it usually fired on the second strike. It doesn't happen often any more, either I solved the problem, or the gun "wore" in. Most of the first 100 or so rounds were factory, and it surprised me when I got a second strike. Made me a bit leery of the gun. Works fine now.

#5 ·
Educate me here a little. I thought a double action trigger would be able to be pulled a second time if the round didn't go off properly. Is that not the case with a DAO autoloader? That is why I was confused about the terminology.

#8 ·
I don't own a striker fired pistol but am glad to have read this thread. I never thought much about not being able to just pull the trigger and go.

Reactions: carver
#9 ·
Sugarfoot
The double strike allows you to pull the trigger a second time if the bullet does not fire the first time around, The trigger pull is long whether you are on the first pull or the second, I like this as it is my pocket carry and I consider this a safety feature that I want in a pocket carry. If you have not tried one yet I highly recommend you test one out first, as the long trigger pull is not for everyone.

#10 ·
I compared one to a Ruger LCP 2 at the LGS today. It is as stated above. You need to work the slide on the Ruger if there is a misfire and the Smith can be cycled again without working the slide through a misfire.

Side note: While I was there, a guy came in and stated that he has one and it doesn't perform well with PMC Bronze ammo.

Reactions: carver
#11 ·
Don't let some gun store cowboy sway you. The M&P line are first class pistols. I suppose that any semi-auto pistol will choke on some brands of ammo. One of the reasons that I like having the gun smith slick up any pistol that I'm having feed problems with. Heck, most of my pistols get a visit to the gun smith before I ever shoot a round thru them. Revolvers as well as semi-autos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.