The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M1 carbine and recently came acc. a list of mfgrs. markings, so I took her down to see whats there. Rec. bolt and slide are Saginaw, the rest are a bit of this and that. I can't find any identifiable markings on the trigger housing. I'm sure its an M2 type as it has the slot for what they call a 9 spring. The only thing I found is a sort'a box on the right rear between the recoil plate lug and trigger guard. This is a definate stamping. It looks like a house on its side, flat bottom, flat sides and a sort'a off center slanted roof?? I think something is inside but I can't begin to make it out. Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't have a camera good enough to show it.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
I'd say to go out and buy a book on M1 Carbine variations and markings, but that would be a waste of time and money because after you research your Carbine, that book will just sit on a shelf.

You might want to go to the library if you live in a fairly big city and check out one of thier books, or just take notes and drawings from your Carbine with you. If you have access to Google, that might make things simpler.

On a bunch of other forums you will get some pretty snotty comments about having an M1 Carbine with mixed parts. If you hear that, ignore it. Most every honest original U.S. small arm has been thru one overhaul or another, and the folks at the Depot are not picky about matching maker-to-maker (It's not thier job - they are paid to rebuild and inspect weapons to equip the Troops).

If you do come upon an all-matching pristine U.S. weapon, either it was an 'Armory Queen' or somebody with sticky fingers stole it. Get one like yours and most likely it has a respectable past. Just two little pennies from a former 14 year Army NCO. ("Never trust a Supply Sergeant who wears an Army watch" - a quote from one of my former Commanders)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

...On a bunch of other forums you will get some pretty snotty comments about having an M1 Carbine with mixed parts....

And during WWII, the various manufacturers would trade parts to keep production rolling. So, some, if not many, were mismatched from the get go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts