The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DCM Inland carbine, 268 000 range, bbl date 43. It is in decent used condition, and I would like to return it to WWII configuration. It does not need to be restored to new condition, just made into WWII. I am not expert enough to know all that it will need, maybe some small parts, a rear sight, and perhaps a stock. Can someone suggest where I can get this done? Several years ago I had some excellent work done by Liberty Armory in Texas, but apparently they are no longer in business.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a DCM Inland carbine, 268 000 range, bbl date 43. It is in decent used condition, and I would like to return it to WWII configuration. It does not need to be restored to new condition, just made into WWII. I am not expert enough to know all that it will need, maybe some small parts, a rear sight, and perhaps a stock. Can someone suggest where I can get this done? Several years ago I had some excellent work done by Liberty Armory in Texas, but apparently they are no longer in business.
Here's the best piece of advice I can give you. Go out and buy the book "U.S. M1 Carbine: Wartime Production, 6th Edition", by Craig Riesch. I consider it to be the bible for the M1 Carbine. It's available on Midway for $17.29. Once you've read through that you will have a good idea as to what you really want, or need, to do to your Carbine.

I have restored two M1 Carbines in the last couple of years and before I started I had zero experience with tearing down and rebuilding guns. It really isn't that hard though. You can take it to a trusted gunsmith and pay him to do it but, if you have any ability at all I recommend you do everything you can yourself first. It will save a LOT of money.

My first M1 was mostly Saginaw Steering Gear S'G' and I went on the internet and found a stock, barrel band and safety that were also marked S'G' and installed them. However, before you get going I really recommend you read that book. It has a wealth of information on the rifle and will give you a good idea of just what parts you need to make it as close to 100% inland as you can get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a 7th Edition. I still hope to find a reliable expert on the M1 to do the job for me.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Wouldnt hurt to throw up a few pics of yours so that these guys here can give you great info. Welcome to the forum shooter3116.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B747FE - Received the 7th Edition - I am amazed at how little I was aware of. You are absolutely correct that I need to start with the book. Working on it. Many thanks for the guidance.

·
Garandaholic
9,513 Posts
The CMP forums would be a great place to find a person. I'm a newbie Garand junkie, there are a lot of serious Garand/carbine collectors out there and that place is where you can get a hold of them.

coh2000; the CMP sells Aguilla .30 ammo, it's a 6month backorder right now though :(

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
For the price you will pay for a few boxes of .30 carbine ammo you could be set up with a basic press and reloading accessories. I dont care if you are donald trump....you will go broke if you plan to do a lot of shooting and buy retail .30 carbine ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts