The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have A Saginaw M1 carbine, had it for decades; haven't fired it for long time, until now. I noticed something that I either never noticed before or long ago forgot. You can grasp the barrel and pull the action front and back, just a wee bit but enough to hear the 'bump bump' of movement. The recoil plate is down tight and when the action is against it it is flush to the eye but you can see the movement as the action is pulled front away from the recoil plate. It doesn't affect function or anything.. Is there a problem here or this one of the M1s little 'normal' oddities? The stock is typical military tho rather nice and solid.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
can you turn the barrel by hand?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the barrel isn't loose and theres no side to side play, its just that if you grab the front of the bbl. (ahead of the bayonet lug) and pull foreward the entire action moves frontward away from the recoil plate....just a cats whisker.....just enough to notice and hear a click when it hits solid again. It almost seems the action is too deeply seated in the stock and the wedge on the recoil plate isn't snugly engaging???

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Oh.. in the stock.. Got ya.. Just needs a shim or 2. The barreled action should be securely wedged up against the recoil plate. If there is play, shim it.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
You can shim the M1 Garands and M1As the very same way. All you gotta do is tighten the bedding somehow. Youd be surpised what folks use for shims and they work. Ive used strips of felt tape, popsicle sticks, and cut pieces of aluminum beer cans.

All you need to do is eliminate the sloppy bedding and that thing will shoot wonderfully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts