The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help on getting info on this M1 would be appreciated! The serial number behind the rear sight is 4019420, the rear sight# is I.R. CO. What is interesting to me is the tac marks and number 9 above the trigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
The "9" above the trigger group means nothing. Someone just scratched that into the wood. Most of the weapons that the U.S. gave to South Korea were rebuilt - sometimes more than once - so the odds of having a matching M1 Carbine are slim at best. You'll want to completely disassemble your weapon and inventory what is there.

For being a Blue Sky re-import, your M1 Carbine looks pretty good. Blue Sky was never known for being picky about the quality of surplus arms that they managed to re-import. I think you did pretty well. WW2 era U.S. arms are getting scarce and pricey. If you decide to refinish your stock, go very easy on sanding to try to keep the Arsenal markings as much as possible intact and try not to round over the sharp edges. Then just a good hand rubbed linseed oil finish would do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "9" above the trigger group means nothing. Someone just scratched that into the wood. Most of the weapons that the U.S. gave to South Korea were rebuilt - sometimes more than once - so the odds of having a matching M1 Carbine are slim at best. You'll want to completely disassemble your weapon and inventory what is there.

For being a Blue Sky re-import, your M1 Carbine looks pretty good. Blue Sky was never known for being picky about the quality of surplus arms that they managed to re-import. I think you did pretty well. WW2 era U.S. arms are getting scarce and pricey. If you decide to refinish your stock, go very easy on sanding to try to keep the Arsenal markings as much as possible intact and try not to round over the sharp edges. Then just a good hand rubbed linseed oil finish would do the job.
Thanks for the information. I bought it from a friend of the family for $80. I love this era and era of guns. I doubt that I would ever sell it, but I was told that I got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I’m understanding correctly, probably a Korean War Era gun? I know it’s probably impossible to tell, but with it probably being rebuilt, could it have originated in WWII?

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Mitch, I can't tell you but mine is also stamped Blue Sky.

Alpo, do you know if all Blue Sky stamped M-1's came from Korea? I want to remember I was told told some of them came from Israel, no? My Inland is a Blue Sky and the butt has the finish worn off from the web magazine pouch that was often strapped to them.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Some links you may find useful. Thisshould keep you busy for awhile.

·
Registered
17,647 Posts
Alpo, do you know if all Blue Sky stamped M-1's came from Korea?
I don't "know" it, as I am by no means an expert on the war baby. but that is what I have heard and read several times in several different places.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
$80 !!!!! I would smile for a year if could buy most any gun for that let alone a M1 Carbine . A great deal for sure . Have you shot it yet ? I have one and love it . Only thing I know is have always heard the bayonet lugs were not put on till after WW2 and the Marine Corp Memorial of the 2nd Iwo Jima flag raising one soldier is carrying a M1 Carbine from later not WW2 era cause of the bayonet lug . Sorry that's all I know .

·
Super Moderator
43,852 Posts
Alpo, do you know if all Blue Sky stamped M-1's came from Korea? I want to remember I was told told some of them came from Israel, no? My Inland is a Blue Sky and the butt has the finish worn off from the web magazine pouch that was often strapped to them.
I got my Standard Catalog of Military Firearms today, and the first thing I have had the opportunity to use it for is this M1 Carbine. I found this statement about the imports - Several thousand carbines were imported from Korea in the late 1980's. These were US made guns that we gave them during the cold war. Other batches of carbines have been imported from West Germany, Israel, and other nations. All post 1986 imports will have an import stamp on the barrel or receiver. The most common are Blue Sky and Arlington Ordinance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a true love / hate relationship with M1 Carbines. I'm a reloader and the spent cases go everywhere. Right, left,over my head, down my shirt, everywhere. I've traded each one away. BOY do I wish I'd have kept them. I had a Rock-ola, Saginaw and 2 others I can't remember. Man they would be an additive to my retirement account today. As they say "If wishes were horse would all be riding". Nice carbine

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have a 1943 M1 Carbine. Bayonet lugs were definately installed during the WWII time frame. IMHO. (If I am wrong, I've got no problem with that.) School me.

$80 bucks? You freakin' Stole that. An M1 Carbine today, goes for between $6-800 easy, before this craziness.

Metal looks good, wood a little rough.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Ken you maybe very well correct . I didn't go into much detail and don't know complete on the historic as some others here . Going by what I can remember hearing few M1 carbines did get the lug in 1945 but didn't get to the front lines or something like that and the early M1 carbines that didn't come with the lug did get it after being turned back in after ww2 was over and by Korea they all had it . And was going also by the story on the Marine Memorial statue . Which was not really the man who built it's fault cause they said he copied the equipment they brought him to look at while working on it . But also have heard of pictures showing soldiers in WW2 with the lug on their Carbine but never saw one myself yet . .

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Thanks George. 'Course I have no idea which country mine came from. I remembered hearing that and it's been so long ago I don't recall who or where.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
The big question now is where it likely came from. I was never an arms importer, but from my personal purchases and being around when those Carbines began to be re-imported, Blue Sky imported mostly from South Korea. Century Arms International (as I remember) and Arlington re-imported from Europe, Western Asia and Africa.

Most likely this Carbine was bought from the South Koreans and brought back that way. I do say 'most likely' because you will never see paperwork of where or who actually did the deal. Many of the arms Blue Sky purchased had what we used to call 'rial road ties' for stocks because they were badly beaten up and abused.

$80 for an M1 Carbine is the best deal I've ever heard of. The last 2 I bought together were a National Postalmeter and the other an Inland that I bought for $250 each back around 1994. My very last M1 Carbine is a Winchester - and I bought it for $600 sometime around 2000.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts