The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just presented with the opportunity to buy a Saginaw M1 Carbine in an RIA paratrooper stock with three magazines and a can of ammo. Now hold on for this, he’s making me a deal at $2000 out the door. Yikes! Seems things are going crazy with pricing on C&R’s right now. We looked at some auctions that had closed and these darn things are going for $2,800.00 HOLY CRAP! He also had an old Win 1897 Riot with a San Antonio PD stamp. Those darn things are selling for $1,800.00. Do people not understand the real value of these or am I just out of touch? Now stop laughing. :p Reminds me of the housing market frenzy 15-20 years ago in So Cal. Two years after these poor people bought their homes they were upside down 25%.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have a couple of safes full of C&R guns that I paid less than $100 each. SKS. K31. 91/30. Turk 8mm Mauser. My first M1 Carbine was $45 (a LONG time ago)

Yeah- you are not going to see those days again. And if you are saying "I shoulda bought more." Yeah, you should have. I just saw the price on a 16" bayonet for a 1903 Springfield. Remember buying them (unissued, with sheath) for under $2 at the local surplus store. The price NOW? HAH! Jesus wept!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I sadly remember the day my folding stock for the M2 I'd bought as a battle field pickup almost went into the box I was mailing home. A friend asked if he could have it since he was going out in the field and I gave it to him. I really enjoyed that rifle while I had it and would love to have one now, but not at the prices they are asking. I think I gave maybe $25 for that one and had a claymore bag full of 30 round mags - maybe a few 10s also.

·
GUNZILLA
7,010 Posts
I just saw last night on Simpson LTD's website they have two M1 carbine paratroopers with the folding stocks, their price was $4995 for one and $5200 for the other one.
Mark if you really can't leave without the M1, $2k seems like a deal.

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark if you really can't leave without the M1, $2k seems like a deal.
I know it is at the moment, not sure if they’ll drop down to a more “normal” price or not. Ugh, I have the money it’s just not where my collecting has been going. Sounds like I could buy it and turn a hefty profit which I hadn’t considered. Wait, I think that might be illegal. I mean after trying it out and if I don’t like it I could then sell it.;)

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
Is that a rebuild of some sort? I thought that Inland was the only carbine manufacturer that built the M1A1 (folding stock), at least that is what I think I remember reading somewhere.

·
GUNZILLA
7,010 Posts
My wife has always told me to "buy it now because it might not be available later". Remember you get an ammo can full of ammo. So it you break it down at todays prices ammo is $800 and $1200 for the M1.

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You’re right George, the person selling the gun told me the same thing. I really don’t know a whole lot about these guns except that they are sought after. The plus side is the barrel and receiver are both Saginaw so it looks like someone took it and put it in a paratrooper stock. Wonder if that could have been done if rearsenalled?

·
GUNZILLA
7,010 Posts
Yes, the folding stocks were made by Inland. IBM and Underwood of typewriters were also contracted to make carbines, but it appears that only Inland made the folding stocks.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
I have a Universal Carbine...kids gifted to me a few Christmas's back. Haven't fired it, actually wonder why I even have it. Universal seems to be one of the ignore or stay away from Carbines. Is there a market for such?

·
GUNZILLA
7,010 Posts
I went ahead and bookmarked it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
I have a Universal Carbine...kids gifted to me a few Christmas's back. Haven't fired it, actually wonder why I even have it. Universal seems to be one of the ignore or stay away from Carbines. Is there a market for such?
Still fun to play with!!

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Universal was one of the major 'after market' M1 Carbine manufacturers. There was a time when it was rare to find a WW2 Carbine (they were still being issued to our folks, and loads more sent away for Foriegn Aid), and that was where Universal jumped in. Some GI parts fit some - others do not. Pretty hit or miss. They are just as fun to shoot as a WW2 era GI Carbine - just not worth as much (maybe half as much). Getting one free as a gift is great!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'd like to have an M1 Carbine. Me and my son were talking about it the other day. I think that if they've made it to the $2K territory they've left me behind though.

What's really sickening is that I was in Germany in 2014 for a project and the owner of the equipment business I was at was having to either sell, destroy or make an M2 Carbine that he had acquired inoperable. It was a real deal full-auto M2 Carbine, but the laws in Germany were forcing him to give it up, at least functionally if not literally. It hurt knowing that it likely couldn't be imported. :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
M1 carbine with paratrooper stock , that's the one with a wire butt stock right ?? Talked to a guy years ago at a gun show as we both were looking at M1 carbines on a table . He said and I have heard it a few times from others the wire butt stocks not as easy shooting as a wooden . But anything especially if a chance of it being used in service is pretty darn cool . I don't know a lot on M1 carbines but if it was wooden stock with the ammo , hate saying it but not a bad price figuring what M1 carbines were going for before it got crazy . Then the ammo ?!?!?!? . Being a paratrooper I know do go for more for some reason . Less made maybe . Did you say you thought somebody made it a paratrooper carbine or was it by armory done ???? Tough call Mark . Glad I blew my money on that Sharps !!!!!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I carried mine folded to the bunker. When I saw a rat down below the bunker I unfolded the stock and made an accurate shot. yes, it feels different than the wood stock but with the light recoil it really isn't a problem. Esp with semi auto. I still wish I had my old one instead of the AR-15. It would fit the women so much better along with the lighter weight which they would appreciate. With todays hollow points it should be a fine home defense rifle.

But really, for what we use them for the wooden stock is so much more practical. But when you are in a war zone carrying one all the time and getting in and out of jeeps and trucks they are awful handy esp for someone not out in the field. There, I'd prefer the wood stock.

ps. I just remembered. There is a company making repro folding stocks that look very similar. I'm sure someone up on them could tell the difference. Age for one. They are not cheap either and if you are after original, you might ask and check first.

·
Premium Member
13,248 Posts
Is that a rebuild of some sort? I thought that Inland was the only carbine manufacturer that built the M1A1 (folding stock), at least that is what I think I remember reading somewhere.
Inland incorporated several (as in just a few) Saginaw receivers in their Jan-Aug '44 production run (s/ns 4,879,526 thru 5,569,984.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts