The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Inland M1A1 Carbines were assembled from given blocks of serial numbers, anything outside of that is a later mix up, after all any M1 Carbine metal will fit into the folding* stock. Rock Island rebuilt multitudes of Carbines including M1A1 and stamped the stock conspicuously (usually on left side) R I A. I do not believe they produced any stocks from scratch, that was done post war at Springfield Armory. One of my M1A1’s has RIA on the left side of the wood adjacent to the rear sight. It also has a SA pistol grip.....a real rebuild with a 5,000,000 Inland in it ( with updates).

·
Premium Member
13,514 Posts
I know it is at the moment, not sure if they’ll drop down to a more “normal” price or not. Ugh, I have the money it’s just not where my collecting has been going. Sounds like I could buy it and turn a hefty profit which I hadn’t considered. Wait, I think that might be illegal. I mean after trying it out and if I don’t like it I could then sell it.;)
You greedy Capitalist...... 😁......what the heck, go for it!! If you don't like thee M-1 Carbine, which I doubt will happen, put the profits toward something you do like.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Talking of those wire folding stocks this is a rare case for me: Usually I much prefer anything 'original' to anything made 'after market'. Not so with the M1 Carbine folding stocks. The originals look a little 'hokey' in my VERY humble opinion. The issue Carbine stocks look great as they were made, but there is one better:

I think it was Universal that came out with a really nice wire folding stock. The stock didn't exactly 'fold' - more like it slid into rails fashioned into the sides of the stock. More like a collaspseable stock. I saw an M1 Carbine that had been done up by someone - hanging on the wall of a Gun Shop I haunted as a kid - on my return home from the Service in 1971. The stock was redone in fancy walnut, the trigger group, operating slide, and I think front and rear sights gold plated - but the walnut stock had that Universal wire stock. Gawdy as all get out - but that stock was nice. I'd love to have had one, but I doubt they are still legal after the Clinton Gun Bans.

·
Registered
984 Posts
My M1, is one of my favorite Firearms. Perfect little Home Defense Carbine. Super reliable. Ballistically equivalent to a. 357mag. Fast change, high capacity mags. What's not to love. Would be one of my top 5 SHTF Firearms. Lot's of ammo, lot's of mags. (Before the Canoe accident.) 🤔

·
TFF Chaplain
20,453 Posts
If it was me, and I had the money, I'd go for it.

Reactions: mrhonda and ms6852

·
Registered
119 Posts
FWIW, I've got the weirdest M1 Carbine you've ever seen. First. after market Iver Johnson. Second, has a Zytel (nylon) boat paddle style stock, with a pistol grip. 3rd, it was made in 9mm Parabellum. Has a 20 round mag, but will also use Browning Hi-Power mags. From what I can find, Iver only made 200 of the things. Looks weirder than sox on a rooster, but shoots pretty good.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jim Brady, The military tested a variety of folding/telescoping stock types when the M1a1 was adopted most failed the moment they launched a grenade with it, as I remember the wire telescoping was one of the failures.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts