The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that all my christmas shopping is done and I have nothing else to spend my hard earned scratch on except Bills and toys, I have decided to have my M1 restored.

I wanted to get some opinions on the matter and see what everyone else thinks.

I am going to have it restored my DGR, I have spoken with Dean over the phone and explained what I am looking for and picked his brain already. Hes wonderful to do business with too.

Anyway, I value you guys' opinions and id like to hear them.

I purchased this M1 from George Moody a little over a year ago now. It is a post WW2 M1 of mixed date parts, but all Springfield. It is a CMP Garand, and George sent the certificate of Authenticity for it.

I have shot this rifle hundreds of times over the last year and I have noticed the accuracy has begun to drop off a little. Its still reasonably accurate but Its time for a rebuild.

I know what im after, I am going to have it restored to exceed milspec quality and have a new criterion barrel installed, new op rod, NM trigger job, lock bar rear sight, and a new hand fit T2 finished American Walnut stock.

What Im on the fence about is whether or not to have it restored in its original .30-06 chambering, or have it done in .308. I am leaning heavily on the .308 because the round is better suited to the garands unmodified gas operating system, and I can get high density loads with the medium speed powders best suited to the Garand which will translate to better accuracy and load consistency. The only thing thats got me on the fence is the originality. The .30-06 is as intended and does indeed shoot well. But The .308 as stated is better suited IMO, and could shoot better..

What do you guys think? George? LD, youre a Garand guy too?

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
My thoughts, and even though it's all Springfield but all mixed #'s on it, I would go
for the .308 cal.. = accuracy and distance if your going for the full "make-over" and
re-barrel it.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I'm with Zane, even though it's all original springfield but mixed #'s i'd go .308 now if it was all matching #'s i'd have to seriously consider staying with the .30 - 06. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
JLA - I'm a little confused (I confuse easily) about the work you're thinking about as 'restoration'? Sounds much more like building a custom rifle.

As far as the choice being between the .308 and the .30-06, I would think that because you are still dealing with the Garand's gas system, and that means powders with burn rates compatable with that system. Of course the change to .308 is feasible, but will .308 out-perform the .30-06 long range loads? I for one don't think you will gain anything by going to the .308 over the .30-06.

All of that being said, I suspect you are going to build a fine rifle and can't wait for the report on the finished project. Good luck and have fun with it!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With medium speed powders the .308 and .30-06 are equal performers. The .308 edges out the .30-06 becuase with the medium speed powders you get a high density load because its short action. Medium speed powders in the .30-06 are comparatively low density because its a long action. Higher density loads generally translate to more consistent loads and better accuracy.

What im going to have done isnt so much a custom rifle as a complete restoration using better quality parts. Much of the original equipment will be restored and re-used, save for the Criterion chromemoly barrel, which is GI milspec cut, but much tighter tolerances and better material. It will be re-park'd by Dean of DGR, a top parkerizer in the industry. And the stock and handguards hand fitted. Basically im having it restored to new condition with care and expertise by an individual whos been building Garands about as long as Ive been alive.

Everything tells me to go .308 and call it good, but i keep thinkin back on the .30-06. When it comes down to boxing the rifle up and shipping it in ill probably just flip a coin.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And once i get this one back, i am going to begin studying up. Ill probably buy old beater parts guns from CMP and begin honing my skill restoring them. Dean will one day pass, and there has to be a best in the industry to keep these great American classics alive. So im going to use his work on my personal rifle as a comparative tool as to how to properly reclaim an old worn out M1 Garand.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
What you propose will be expensive. For maybe the same money you can buy a CMP Special grade:

RM1SPECIAL

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.30-06)
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

$995
S&H $24.95 per rifle

RM1308SPECIAL

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.308)
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.

$995
S&H $24.95 per rifle

Note that you can get it in 308 if you wish. Perhaps on paper the accuracy potential for 308 may be higher but remember that the Army's match gun and sniper gun for years was the Garand in 30-06. The length of the action was optimized for the longer 30-06 not the 308 which MAY (??) lead to feeding problems. If it is really a 308 "Garand" you want then buy a M1A which has known high accuracy and was designed to handle 308 and with the Springfield Armory version is all new.

At one point I had an M1 Garand that was built in the last month of WII. I liked that idea but when it came to upgrading it I decided after studying the possibilities that I was money ahead by selling it and buying the CMP Special. I am not sorry I did that as the historic (??) Garand went on to someone who wanted the history, not a shooter. I wanted a shooter and I was not disappointed buy the change to the CMP Special Garand.

Why not keep the original gun and buy another? The M1A would be a good addition as a shooter in 308. Or get a CMP Special Grade. You know, you can never have too many guns. I myself have two Garands: A Beretta clone and the CMP Special grade, both in 30-06...love them both. My 308 rifles are a FN-FAL and a PTR-91 (new, H&K clone). I love them as much as the Garands. The PTR-91 is especially accurate!

LDBennett

·
Super Moderator
47,183 Posts
Josh, I bought a Garand in .308 several years ago. It looked good and it shot well but to me it wasn't a true M1 because the one my daddy carried in the WWII was in .30-06. I admire your intentions of becoming proficient in Garand repair. The ones I know are getting old and will be dying off soon. A good gunsmith with a working knowledge of the M1 will be needed.

I am not going to give you any advice on which way to go with it. I know it will be a good shooter which ever way you go .308 or .30-06.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to stick with the oughtsix as John Garand designed it. I flipped a coin and the oughtsix won the toss, 3 times..

LD, I know its going to be expensive, $1,079.00 exactly. But I care not, because another original Garand isnt what im after. Ill buy another soon enough but only to begin my restoration journey. I want this one I got from George to be restored by the best in the business. Restored to brand new, unissued condition. Using top of the line, by todays standards components. I think it will reinvent what the stock M1 can be..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
My vote FWIW, is to stick with the original chambering, still an incredibly accurate round with a power advantage in the end.

I've shot the rechambered Garands and they shoot just fine but something about the Garand just screams '06 to me, if for no other reason than nostalgia.

Looks like you will be getting a nice rifle back as an even nicer shooter! Very cool project, I'm gonna cry when the military finally gives up the M1A for good. The armorers at camp perry are freakin' magicians with these old faithfuls. I hope we can keep the skills alive and well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did the same thing about 10yrs ago with a 5 digit springfield receiver and as many NM parts I could find. only I went with a Kreiger DCM standard pattern barrel. with careful hand loads (we all know you will do) and I did my part I have shot 1/2in 100yd 5 shot groups with. I know hard to believe but it will out shoot my NM M1A, those Kreiger barrel's are unbelievable.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cant wait. If this saturday goes the way i hope it does, ill be shipping this beauty off monday morning.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My vote FWIW, is to stick with the original chambering, still an incredibly accurate round with a power advantage in the end.

I've shot the rechambered Garands and they shoot just fine but something about the Garand just screams '06 to me, if for no other reason than nostalgia.

Looks like you will be getting a nice rifle back as an even nicer shooter! Very cool project, I'm gonna cry when the military finally gives up the M1A for good. The armorers at camp perry are freakin' magicians with these old faithfuls. I hope we can keep the skills alive and well.
No advantage in power at all, the Garand is not suited to heavier bullets due to it's unregulated gas system designed around the standard Mil-spec cartridge and heavy bullets can cause slide and bolt battering.
In the Garand, the '06 cartridge has no advantage over the 7.62 x 51.
A bolt rifle is a different matter.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All went as planned today and I have the funds in possession to have this done and then some. I just sent Dean an email. Ill definitely be sending my M1 off to him sometime in the next week. Ill be sure to take a few before pics. And certainly some after pics when it comes back.

And I did look into the CMP special grade LD mentioned above.. And talked to a couple of people that have the special grade M1s as well as experienced M1s re-worked by Dean.. Both said there is absolutely no comparison between a DGR restoration and a CMP special grade M1. The DGR Garand makes the CMP special look like crap. Ill take that and run with it. :)

·
TFFWPP President
14,422 Posts
I'm new to the hobby but I am happy it's staying an '06. more of a nostalgia thing.

can't wait for pics and range report.

BTW, I remember my grandpa and uncles smacking prairie dogs on his farm with these 30 years ago. "where'd that dog go?"

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No advantage in power at all, the Garand is not suited to heavier bullets due to it's unregulated gas system designed around the standard Mil-spec cartridge and heavy bullets can cause slide and bolt battering.
In the Garand, the '06 cartridge has no advantage over the 7.62 x 51.
A bolt rifle is a different matter.
Its not the heavier bullets per se that beat the hell out of the garands gas system, its the slower powders generally associated with them. The Garand is designed around IMR4895, which is a medium burn speed powder. And when loaded in the .30-06 cartridge that particular burn rate is ideally suited to .30 cal projectiles between 150 and 180 grains, with the sweet spots seeming to be between 155 and 168 grains.

My favorite propellant to use with my M1 is Varget, at 48 grains under a 155 hornady Amax. It makes for a nice M2 ball duplicate (only with better bullets).

I am going to work with CFE223 as well with both 155 grainers and 168 grainers. If I can get open sight MOA groups at 200 yards and im happier than a hungry baby in a topless bar.. :)

G

·
I say stick to 06 for this one. Then buy a cheapie from CMP and built it the way you want it. 308, 7mm-08 260 rem 450 Supershortultraloudnboomerwizbang mag or what ever.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats a pretty good idea Cpt. Ill get me a beater to restore and convert it to a tanker in .308..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The M1 ships out tomorrow. Should have it back before the end of march.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.