"M1 Thumb!"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Xracer
    (10/20/01 9:33:09 am)
    | Edit | Del All "M1 Thumb!"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You never forget your first M1 Thumb!"

OK guys (and gals), when & where!

Mine? October 1954, University of Connecticut, AFROTC. "Inspection arms!" "Present arms!" "OUCH!" "Ooowie!" "Yow!" "@#$*&^%!"

For those who've managed to avoid this interesting activity, ten pounds of rifle hanging from your right thumb is a learning experience!

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/20/01 9:45:44 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: "M1 Thumb!"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do shotguns count? 12yrs old, Browning A5, Thank God I had gloves on...ouch. Although, Its never happened since.....knock on wood.
    "Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar." Churchill - May 19, 1940, London.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/20/01 10:14:23 am)
    Does a Bayonet count, droped one on my foot in basic, and of course, as Murphy's law would have it, it stuck in my foot. 1965
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/20/01 5:47:35 pm

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (10/20/01 5:18:58 pm)
    Saw an old friend at a gun show years ago with a blood stained bandage on his thumb. I said " M-1 ?" He said " Yeah, it sure was embarrasing". I thought it was funny, but it wasn't my thumb.

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/20/01 5:58:43 pm)
    If you think an M-1 thumb is bad, don't ever ever clean one nude!

Gunguy

gpostal
    (10/20/01 6:08:20 pm)
    thats not right!!!!!!!!

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/20/01 6:33:53 pm)
    HA!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/20/01 7:15:18 pm)
    Don't know if I want to hear that story Agunguy!:LOL
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/20/01 8:16:33 pm)
    My first encounter with an Egyptian Hakim in 1984 made me sit up and take notice, and nearly loose a thumb. Damn things are treacherous.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

kdubaz
    (10/20/01 10:04:07 pm)
    Never collected one o' them thingys, as I seen too many while in the service do so. Even in civilian shoots, always remembered to keep the thumb outa the way.

Speaking of M1 thumbs - ever 'thumb' the rifle when being inspected? Ya know, the Officer of the Day is inspecting the Guard Mount and wants to impress the troops with his sharp inspection. Usually some little shavetail newbie ROTC 2nd Lt that is trying to prove how "badass" he is.

When he steps in front of you and gives you the once-over for uniform correctness and you're standing at attention with Inspection Arms, he looks you in the eyeballs and tries to swiftly grab your rifle while you're still hanging onto it. Makes a big scene about you letting go so he can check the cleanliness of the piece.

What you do is stare at a spot between and just above his eyes. When you see the eyes twitch or the shoulder hunker down a tad, you instantly let go the rifle while giving it a little added imputus with your right thumb on the stock to cause it to tilt slightly on it's way down. Now, if he fails to catch the rifle before it hits the ground, HE has to pick it up, clean it and return it to you, much to the suppressed humor of the rest of the Guard Mount and Sergeant.

Did this to one of the real smartass new Lt's we got when in the 11th Cav, back at Ft. Knox, Ky in the early fifties. Was assigned the worst guard post for the evening in the cold, blowing snow, but the memory of his face when the ol' M1 hit the pavement with a loud clatter served to keep a smile on my face and a chuckle in my throat all night long!!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/22/01 8:01:46 pm)
    Shot DCM for a few years with many different, along with my own later, and NEVER got bit...my DCM in fact "hung" on just about every reload just enough that smacking the op rod (Forward assist? ) was something I did all the time, naturally, didn't slow me down one bit. It did it no matter how clean, how greased, and I had it apart MANY times looking for the burr until I gave up and lived with it.

Saw lots of M1s "hang" unexpectedly in rapid and surprise the crap out of the shooter and they wouldn't finish their string because of trying to figure out why it didn't close that time...

Had an old Navy Chief tell me that is how he was trained, to smack it every time just in case...

BUT the first time I shot my Romanian SKS I got bit right away when loading it, musta just touched the bolt carrier enough, you SNEEZE and it will close when even one round is in the mag...damn commie thing drew blood.
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.