The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

M1900 Iver Johnson Target Model 22 revolver

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Shrek73 
#1 ·
Have an Old Iver Johnson double action--9 shot 22lr revolver---Model 1900 Target Model 10" barrel------has most all bluing off of it and when was handed to me it had very lite rust here and there as nobody had wiped it down to help keep it rustfree----------it was shot a few times and fun
Hand Metal
ctions well I HAVE not shot it at targets yet-------Wood Grip looks to be Walnut that is dark---has a checkering pattern on each side----has a screw on grips Bottom that holds it in p[lace and NOT thru its side as many revolvers do---the front sight is VERY thin blade as thin as say a pearing knife blade---thinner than a butter knife. Reciever of course has a slot as rear sight but what got me it even the hammer is slotted inline with the receiver slot--I don't want to sell it but just hope to at least SEE maybe what it is worth---I have an OLD book that says in its history about this gun that it was made starting in 1929 and last year was made was 1946--I have NO serial Number info to ck on date but serial Number on trigger guard bottom is 11265 Hammer has a wide thin edge on it as firing pin of course is rimfire---------overall its frame is thin----fits in the hand very well----
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Shotgun
Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Auto part Rim
Gun Firearm Trigger Wood Air gun

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Remove the grips and get the full serial number. It's on the left side of the grip strap. It will start with an A or C, and we can tell which model you have. There were two variations of the IJ Target 1900.

I believe you have and Iver Johnson Model 79 Target made in 1929. The serial number under the grip should start with a C.

They started making the Model 1900 Target in 1925 using small Model 1900 frames (.22’s) with 6” & 9” barrels. The serial number started with letter A prefix. The frame was too small to serve as an adequate target pistol, so in 1929 Iver Johnson released the Model 69 & Model 79 Target. They used large Model 1900 frames (.38 S&W) and added a .22 barrel and 9 shot cylinder. The 69 came with a 6” barrel and the Model 79 came with a 10” barrel, and the serial numbers started with a C prefix. This model was eventually replaced by the Target Sealed 8, which was an improvement.

I don’t know why Iver Johnson used such thin front sight blades, and they are more difficult to sight in than a modern style sight. The finish is typical for one this old, so I would use some oil and light steel wool to remove pitting. Be careful, you don’t want to polish it or remove any more of the finish, but want to prevent the rust from growing.

Yours is fairly desirable with the barrel length. On average Iver Johnson .22 are more collectable than the .32 S&W and .38 S&W because the ammunition is easier to find and most can still be fired today. I would estimate the value to be around $250-$300.

#3 ·
Remove the grips and get the full serial number. It's on the left side of the grip strap. It will start with an A or C, and we can tell which model you have. There were two variations of the IJ Target 1900.

I believe you have and Iver Johnson Model 79 Target in 1928. The serial number under the grip should start with a C.

They started making the Model 1900 Target in 1925 using small Model 1900 frames (.22's) with 6" & 9" barrels. The serial number started with letter A prefix. The frame was too small to serve as an adequate target pistol, so in 1929 Iver Johnson released the Model 69 & Model 79 Target. They used large Model 1900 frames (.38 S&W) and added a .22 barrel and 9 shot cylinder. The 69 came with a 6" barrel and the Model 79 came with a 10" barrel, and the serial numbers started with a C prefix. This model was eventually replaced by the Target Sealed 8, which was an improvement.

I don't know why Iver Johnson used such thin front sight blades, and they are more difficult to sight in that a modern style sight. The finish is typical for one this old, so I would use some old and light steel wool to remove pitting. Be careful, you don't want to polish it or remove any more of the finish, but want to prevent the rust from growing.

Yours is fairly desirable with the barrel length. On average Iver Johnson .22 are more collectable than the .32 S&W and .38 S&W because the ammunition is easier to find and most can still be fired today. I would estimate the value to be around $250-$300.
You are Correct------same number there but it does start with a C But like you said Started making them in 1929 but I have a book that said made until 1946 I wish I had some way of locking onto the year was actually for This one made with serial number???? Just for my info

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.