The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me exactly what is the difference between them, if there are any ?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
No difference.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
but I can tell you that you get what you pay for: avoid the $20 specials from pro-mag or the korean knock offs, etc.

Get US GI issue or springfield armory only. SA run around $35 on sale to $50 depending on where you get them. $45 is the average going rate and well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I'd like to add a caution about some of the after-market M14/M1A mags: Beware that some of these are really cheap junk. One quick thing to look for is the locking piece on the back of the mag body: If the protrusuion is a seperate piece of metal welded or spot welded in place you should be OK. If it's just a stamped protrusion, don't waste your money on it. Those quit locking properly really fast.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
I pay $55 for each of my high capacity .308 mags. I simply refuse to buy the cheap junk!

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I got a bunch of standard GI, new in the wrap, for $2.50 each.

Jim

P.S. That was when there were no M14 clones and GI M14 mags were all over at cheap prices because there was nothing on the civilian market that could use them.

JK

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Jim Brady is correctamundo there; if you see just a stamped locking lug, leave it be!

JimK, good score on those GI mags, wish I had gotten some at that price! SA is the way to go, the GI mags seemed to have dried up in my area. the new SA are just as good IMO if not better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I should have clarified. The reason I asked, is that I have an Armalite AR10T and a second A2 upper for it as well. The mags it uses are converted M14 mags. I can get them from Armalite directly, or can buy the conversion kit and do the surgery myself. The conversion kit is available two ways: With or without the box. The "with" kit means that you basically only need the spring and floorplate from the M14 mag. The "without" kit is a bit more challenging. You need to cut the locking hole in the correct location, reduce the length of the feed lips, and cut a slot in the back of the mag for the new bolt catch. Then you can assemble everything to find out that it doesn't work and you just ruined a perfectly good mag. I don't really NEED any, but I think I want a few more, especially since we all know what's coming down the pike. I'd like to find someone to order 3 or 4 twenty rounders from Armalite for me and then ship them to me. New York says that I'm not supposed to be playing with them "cause I might hurt myself or something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm selling USGI original M14/M1A on gunauction.com with a US marked canvas pouch for $45. I bought my M1A from a friend who thought two dozen mags wasn't enough. The worst mag in the bunch was a little rusted and beat up, after 25yrs it is the only mag I've ever used and it has never failed me. The older M14 mags were well made.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so after writing my last comment I went to rhe Armalite home page and found out that the mags that my rifle uses are no longer listed. Uh-Oh ! The only thing I could find was Gen II. The new version may or may not fit in my rifle. I will have to call them on the phone on Monday to find out what gives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts